Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 2 months ago

Am I truly passionate about medicine?

If you could press a button and eventually became a physician without the hard work, Who didn’t want to do that? Pleasant high salary, job prestige, people respect, etc. How can I ensure I truly love medicine itself, not the advantages of it. Because it’s the passion that drags people in this hard journey when they lose motivation. And on the other hand, I have a love for aviation. I was obsessed with the field since the age of 11. So far I’ve read so many aviation books, articles and have practiced flight simulators for 9 years now that I can say I already know 70% of the theory of how to operate, for example, a Boeing 737-800. That’s become so complicated now; I don't know which one of medicine or aviation I truly love(or love more) which one of them should I pursue ?AND I’m afraid I'm not capable of pursuing medicine. 

I highly appreciate any help. Thanks 

• :)
    Favorite Answer

That takes a level of self reflection that a mature person gains over time. I’m pursuing nursing, and I knew I was passionate and not just in it for the job security/benefits because I would sacrifice fun/relaxing to study, I got a thrill from getting good grades, I actually look forward to (most) clinical rotations, and I pursued opportunities outside of class. I did a labor and delivery Externship, and I was happy to wake up everyday. Yeah, I got paid well but money will NOT make you happy to wake up at 5:45am 3 days a week, believe me. Lastly, I tried to picture if I could see myself anywhere else. I actually COULD, but it’s not like I want to be in those careers more than being in nursing. I’m happy where I am.

Edit- disappointed in the cynicism/disillusionment in these comments.

Passion is the least of your worries. Most people who apply to medical school don't get in.

"Who didn’t want to do that?"   Zillions of people have no interest in practicing medicine.  

"Because it’s the passion that drags people in this hard journey when they lose motivation."  Wrong.  It's called self-discipline.

You really think physicians are passionate about seeing their 700th case of toenail fungus or seeing their 900th fat person complaining about hemorrhoids?

Work is work whether you're flying a plane or practicing medicine.