Andy

Not having federal income tax with held on unemployment benfit payments ?

I just recieved my first benifits payment and plan on recording each deposit for tax purposes.  1. Will I end up paying more in taxes than if I had federal income tax withheld? 2. When do I need to report taxes to the IRS?  Thanks!

You don't have to keep track of each one for tax purposes. In January, the state will send you a 1099-G with the total for the year.

You report it to the IRS early next year, anytime between when you get the 1099-G and April 15.

• John

1. Your total tax will be the same whether you withhold or not.  However, your balance due when you file your return will be higher, or your refund will be lower, if you do not have taxes withheld.  

2. Early in 2021, you will receive a 1099-G telling how much you received, and the amount of any withholding.  You will put that information on your 2020 1040, which will be filed in 2021.  

As an extra note, the withholding rate on unemployment is 10%.  Your marginal tax rate will most likely be higher than that, so do not count on the withholding to avoid an underpayment situation.

• Judy

What you'll pay for tax will be the same whether it's withheld or if you don't pay until next year when you file, except for possible penalties for not having enough withheld. Your state will send form 1099-G to you next year showing what you got for unemployment and send a copy to the IRS

• abdul

The feds tax unemployment money as income, so you will have to pay income tax on whatever you drew. You may not have enough withdrawn from your wages when you were working, so you should probably have them withhold taxes on it.