Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

Is it bad to want to be friends with benefits?

So, since this quarantine started, me and one of my best friends have been talking more. He has a girlfriend, but the girlfriends mom is very strict and she doesn’t get to talk to him much. He and I have been joking about being fwb, but low key we’re kinda serious about it. Should I feel bad? I don’t have anything against the girlfriend (she’s kinda my friend too) but he and I have been getting closer and honestly I don’t know if we’re bad people for thinking/considering this?

yeah, that would be cheating, aka he would be cheating and you would be the counterpart in his unfaithful-ness. My advice if you guys really want to do this is have him break up with his girlfriend. The emotional toll cheating can take on another person is not pretty. Being FWB may sound enticing right now but you don't want to be caught in the middle of all that once his current gf finds out. Have him break up with his girlfriend an d if he's not willing to do that then he's obviously just interested in using you while eating his cake too (i.e. keeping his gf)

Only if his GF is okay with it and I suspect that is not going to be the case.  If she finds you, you likely won't be any sort of a friend.

Emotionally yes it is. Apart from the fact that its cheating its dangerous emotionally. What if one or the other want more than just "benefits"??? How would you feel if your boyfriend was getting "benefits" from someone you considered to beva friend. Thats in normal circumstances. At the moment breaking quarantine for a bit of fun is criminal.

It's normal for people to feel this way during quarantine, but if you're friends with his girlfriend the both of you don't need to be FWB. It's possible that your best friend is only bringing this up simply because everyone's on quarantine and you're the closest person to him. If you were to become FWB it would probably only be during this time, so once quarantine is over he will go right back to his girlfriend and leave you in the dust. Also, be extremely careful because you don't want to catch feelings that aren't reciprocated.