Noah asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

So I'm doing a study on pirates for my school. I was wondering what are some differences between Corsairs, Privateers, and Buccaneers?

BTW I couldn't even find stuff on google

Pirate is relative, which means that one man's pirate was another man's privateer.

A privateer was actually commissioned by an entity, usually a country like Spain or Holland or England, to attack and harass ships belonging to whoever the commissioning entity wanted attacked. English privateers (meaning commissioned by, not necessarily that they were English) would attack Spanish or Dutch ships and so on. Basically a privately owned ship or ships being used as naval forces by that country.

Corsair is another name for Pirate. A ship or group of ships that attack basically anyone and anything they can. An example would be the Barbary Corsairs of the North African coast.

Essentially, they are the same.