What's novel has given you the most personal value?

What novel has improved your life/taught you something important/changed your perspective the most, or what novel would be the most valuable for everybody to read? (not the Bible or any other religious text)

Ohhhhhh, many, as I take a little something out of many books. 

The two that most stick out, are probably Les Miserables......which teaches you, that no matter how unfair and brutal  life treats you.......you can still decide to be a good person yourself, and do the right thing. 

and   "The 5 People You Meet In Heaven"  is one of the most thought provoking.......as it makes you wonder.......who YOUR 5 people would be. 

Who has influenced your life the most.....or whose life  have YOU altered.? 

Which 5 would be the most important or prominent ? 

and in the book......it's often NOT the 5 you would think. 

Some, you may not even be aware of how important your role actually was. 

It really gets you thinking. 

A novel that has taught ME something valuable won't necessarily be valuable AT ALL to anyone else, far less for 'everybody'.

We all have different needs, though we may not be aware of them.

Having said that, I might just mention 'Catch-22'.

• Jessica2 months agoReport

Right, that's why they were two different questions. What was valuable for you OR what would be most valuable for others. And Catch-22's a great answer

• Andrew

I've read hundreds of novels. How could I possibly elevate one above all others in terms of value? Some novels are exciting. Some are quirky. Some are stylistically brilliant. How might one go about weighing those merits against one another? 

And The Bible isn't a novel. 

• Jessica2 months agoReport

Agreed, but it's interesting to see what people's initial answer is/the interesting stories behind the books they most admire. And I know, but if I didn't say it half my answers would've been The Bible. 

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Reading the book I was struck not only by the depth of the writing but also the central premise about the nature of "truth" and how each person experiences the world in different ways.

The Razor's Edge by Maugham.   First read it in 9th grade (assigned), I've re-read it every 5 years or so and always take away a new insight from it.

• the holy bible.

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to that question, too! Oh please answer, folks! Please! I *must* know!...............

?????????????????????