Matt asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

I accidentally discovered thousands of emails and passwords online. Who do I tell?

Last night, I accidentally typed in my email address into the google search bar. The very first thing that popped up was a raw text file that contained at LEAST 25,000 emails and passwords and -- lo and behold -- my email and password was in there too! Naturally the very first thing I did was change my password. I would like to know who to inform about this as I felt incredibly violated and unsafe by this -- I have used this email address for things with my credit card on it. If I didn't know about this until now, there's a good chance the vast majority of the other 25,000 emails don't know either. Please help me out with this!

Edit: I just realized this might actually look very stupid. No, this is not the email address that has the password. I just made this email address 20 minutes ago for the sole purpose of asking this question

• Nancy
    Favorite Answer

Start with your email provider, if Yahoo, then Yahoo. Yahoo will get to the bottom of it.

https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index?page=conta...

You know the website it's hosted on, you could drop them an email if you can find an address.

Uhhh.. idk, the email busters?