Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

What are some tips/advice on going to nursing school? ?

I’m one year into college and want to get accepted into University of Alabama at Birmingham’s nursing program, and then I’m planning on getting accepted to the NP program after obtaining my bachelor’s. Biology is not my strong point.. I wouldn’t say I’m bad at it but it doesn’t come easy to me. BUT I am a very hard worker and I believe I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. What are some tips that may help me throughout this journey? 

1.  Assume every class is going to be challenging and get help early and often if you find you aren't mastering the content.  That could be listing instructors' office hours, study groups, or a tutor.  Don't wait until it's too late to salvage your grade. A high GPA is essential.

2.  Figure out what pre- nursing courses you need to take and  plan out your schedule so there are no surprises.  You'll have a couple chemistry, psychology, some math/stats, English, and other general ed, and probably anatomy/physiology.  If you are attending a community college, speak with a transfer advisor ASAP to ensure the course you take at that college will be accepted at UA-Birmingham.

3. Keep up with your homework and assignments.  

4. Know the admission requirements and exceed them.  For most BSN programs, about 50% of the applicant get in.

Nursing schools are competitive. Make sure you review their requirements to apply, and make sure you exceed them by a long shot. People who meet the "minimum" requirements do not get accepted.