J.R asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My little cousin is suicidal, i think?

It just that some stuff he writes on his facebook page scares me. his birthday is at the end of the month, and he's turning 20, and he says for his birthday he doesn't want to do anything because nothing makes him happy anymore but sleep on his feed. I didn't say anything but as his older cousin (im 23) I feel that I should say something. I mean he and his younger brother did live me for a summer during my freshmen year in high school. i remember not wanting them over, because I wasn't used to little kids, I'm the younger brother in my family growing up, so sharing my games and room with two younger boys seemed horrible. But I treated them like the little brothers I never had and played with them and everything and we did sort of bond during that time and i guess they saw me as an older bro during that time. But I haven't really talked to them as they was like 10 years ago. I do love him, if he is really suicidal that would definitely be a problem for me. Should I ask him? And if so, do I tell his parents or something. I mean technically he is an adult but still...  

Apologies in advance, bigtime! J.R, sorry to have to say this but you appear to still function as you did back then in that you felt obligated/forced to have a relationship only because they were family. So, yet again you feel compelled to have to say or do something, however, your actions don't appear again to sound like someone overly concerned. Why, because nothing was mentioned about attempting to get support from another family member/siblings too as you're the youngest. Technically again, towards the end of your Q, you come across as though it would be bothersome if he were to commit suicide, saying stuff like. That would definitely be a problem, and should I ask him, and do I tell his parents because technically he's an adult but still? But still, what is would I would ask? 

Could you arrange for a chaplain to speak to him?

Definitely contact his parents or have your parents do so. Please do so fast so someone can make sure he is okay.  Also, email a suicide crisis place with how to help him and how to contact. Don't wait long though since something could happen (a suicide).  If the parents need to you can ask them to keep it anonymous that you told them but he needs help if he is suicidal. I have been myself before. 

maybe you should take him to the hospital and have him admitted to the psych ward

• Helen

Do not tell his parents, at least not yet. You will lose his trust. Talk to him.