Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Will I receive a stimulus check?

My situation is a bit complicated. 

I am 18 years old and a commuter for college. My father filed taxes for 2018 and I was claimed as a dependent. He did not yet file taxes for 2019, though I still live with him. I work part/full time hours depending on the week, though I am temporarily furloughed because of COVID-19. I did complete my taxes for the 2019 year. I do not qualify for my father to receive the $500 check because I was age 17 by the end of 2018 and age 18 by the end of 2019. Would I qualify for the $1,200 relief check?

Would the government still go by his 2018 tax return? I only wonder because of my age. 

This is important to me as I do have bills that I pay myself. I did file for unemployment but many are saying that I would not receive benefits until four weeks out because of the overwhelming amount of Americans applying.  

You are still a dependent, so you do not get a check. He does not get the $500, you do not get the $1200.

• Judy

Your age is not the issue. When you filed for 2019 did you file as a dependent? If you did, no check for you.

I love the asshat that answered who’s up on his high horse. “Nor should you” bullshit. 

I get how hard it is to pay your way through college. I did the same thing over forty years ago, understanding your concern with your finances. It seems to me that your father may be eligible for the $500 check. Unfortunately you do not qualify for the $1,200 check. Have a blessed day and stay home if you can help it with this virus. 

Your father may. Your age might be an issue if they were looking for you to be 17 or younger for him to receive the $500 

It doesn't matter if you are a "commuter" or you live on campus, if you are a full time student, your father can claim you until the end of your 23rd year. 

You are not eligible for 2018.

If your father claims you, like it appears he is able, you also aren't eligible for 2019. 

• jill2 months agoReport

Thank you! Your answer is much appreciated. Stay safe! :)