SHould i try to build a computer myself?

I have the parts already listed ready to buy and put together. I have built one years ago but if its too much hassle i dont want to accidentally break anything..but $500-$700 seems a bit much and this is the going rate?

It isn't really all that hard to build your own. Plenty of online guides

Don't do it. It will be too complicated

Not you. You sound too lazy.

$600 to $700 is about what a budget Gaming build costs. lol, that's one of the main reasons most people play Video Games on a console. Consoles are easy to set up and they're cheap.

In my time of building and rebuilding PC's the cheapest build I've ever completed cost $950. I cut costs by going with an AMD processor and buying an Open-Box Graphics card.

Despite port closures and shipping delays caused by COVID-2019, Parts are still priced somewhat low in comparison to what parts like RAM, SSD and the GPU cost back in early 2018. Between mid 2017 to mid 2018 was a terrible time to build a PC. Thanks to tariffs prices, of motherboards and power supplies have gone up at least 15%, but in the end that will add about $30 to the final cost of a build.

If you don't like those prices then perhaps you could look at piecing together a salvage build out of used parts or you could buy a used PC. There are a lot of people out there who build PC's out of used parts then resell what they build for a profit.

Prices have risen with Chinese difficulties, the tariff war, inflation, shipping costs to you, and maybe taxes where you live or where the source is.  So a price range isn't just the parts themselves.  You could get spot sales bargains or pay a premium for scarce parts.

Source(s): Building PC boxes for several decades since DOS and Windows 3.0 Most of my machines now were on used markets or donated since they are more than adequate for what I need.

I used to build my own computers when I was a volunteer with the SETI program. (the faster the computer, the more of the SETI packages I could process in a given day). But the costs for a new build got me to start looking at craigslist for used boxes. And since then I only buy used or refurbished stuff! I am currently surrounded with 3 boxes that I have purchased from craigslist ads. One is WinXP (for older programs), one is Win7-32 and one is Win10-64! All very affordable used and running boxes! So I suggest you consider checking out craigslist!

• Bill-M

Building it yourself is very easy.  The hard part is buying  the parts and making sure they are compatible with each other. Like if you get an Intel Motherboard and a AMD CPU.  That will not work.

• Lv 7

that's actually pretty cheap for DIY. the idea behind. uilding it yourself is NOT that it's cheaper, but that you use better quality parts, so it will run better and last longer.

if you don't want to build it yourself, take it to a local pc shop. they will build it, often for $50 - $100.

• Marduk

My usual is $1500 so 500-700 is cheap to me. Not to say it is a bad build, but a good price. And yes, it is always suspenseful turning on a new build and seeing if it works. I have had 3 failures of the 12 I've done over the years. 2 were cable problems and one, I just replaced a bunch of stuff and it worked. Wear a wrist strap and do it when humidity is high. Static doesn't build up easily in high humidity. I'm waiting for the summer so I can build my next one. Nitrile gloves help a lot too.