possible fuel pump issue with 2010 chevy cobalt?

Hello! On my way home from the post office the other day, I drove over some train tracks. I pressed the break to get over the rail road tracks and when I went to accelerate, I was not getting any gas. I have over a quarter tank. So with what momentum I had left, I luckily was able to drift into a parking spot. 

I was pretty much in neutral and got into to parking spot. I put the car in park and and turned it off. When I tried to turn it back on it would try to turn over but it wouldn't start. 

I know it is not the battery, because my radio and everything was still working when my gas stopped. 

I had the car towed back to my house. I checked the fuse box and tried to move some stuff around. 

Any other ideas? Please help me. 

• Mr.357

One idea is that it is  kaput.

Possibly the fuel pump since an old trick is to rap on the tank to get them to start up one more time. Best way to check it is with some starting fluid. If the engine starts, then dies, then you know it's the pump. You might have what is called an "inertia switch" that it usually in the trunk area that tripped when you ran over the RR tracks. Owners manual might help you locate it.

Something was knocked loose when you went over the train tracks.

You know it's not the battery because the starter motor still would crank the motor over.

If the starter is not cranking the motor over take the battery cables off and clean the battery posts and cable clamps and make sure to tighten them good when you put the cable clamps back on the battery. The battery cable clamps should not be able to be moved on the battery posts once they have been tightened.

Make sure you have spark and can hear the fuel injectors clicking while a friend cranks the motor over.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Something must have shook loose.That's one reason you don't brake over bumps- that magnifies the shock. It's possible an OBD2 code check will narrow down what isn't working so you avoid checking every thing in the car. Push firm all the fuses and relays and wires.

Charge the battery.  Spray starting fluid on the intake or vacuum line and try to start.  Car starts, shut off engine.  Connect a headlight bulb to the fuel pump connector (you will need to know the power and ground wires to the pump).  Headlight bulb lights up when you are trying to start, the fuel pump is bad.  Headlight bulb does not light up, try replacing the fuel pump relay.

Car does not start with starting fluid, check for spark with a spark tester while trying to start.  If there is no spark, check injector pulse with a noid light.  If there is no injector pulse, the crank sensor is likely bad.

• Scott

That's the classic symptoms of fuel pump failure.

• JetDoc

Just because the radio still plays does not mean that your battery is OK. The radio takes a lot less power than some of the other electrical accessories in your car. Instead of having your car towed back to your house, you SHOULD have had it towed to the nearest mechanic shop where a REAL mechanic could troubleshoot your problem, and maybe even get the car going the same day.