Mickey asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is there anything that can inspire and tell me I have a chance to become who I want to be?

I'm in deep depression. I don't know what to do. Problem is I'm 20 but I can't even start doing what I want to do in life. I see people in my age already achieved something, make their first successful steps but I couldn't do anything before (long my life history) and now I just have a fear that I would never already achieve anything I want, fear I can't control. Is there anything that can tell me that I have time yet and that I have a chance to achieve something, that it's not too late. Some article, movie, video on Youtube or book, anything? Cause I can't already calm myself down, I'm just stuck in depression, eye is tinkling and I can't sleep.

I see some people think I don't know what to do... But the main problem is that I do know what to do in my life. I have a dream and that's what bothers me... I can't start going to it and I have a fear that I will never achieve it... Cause at my age people already were be able to achieve in that area I wanna succeed

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Number one: STOP comparing yourself to everyone else. No one is you, and no one is on the same schedule as you. Of course you can succeed--even at your 'dream' if you want it badly enough and are willing to make it a goal that you will try to achieve no matter what obstacles are in your way. 

Comparing yourself to everyone else is the surest way to be disappointed. Even if you had achieved your goals and dreams when you thought you should have, there will ALWAYS be someone who got there sooner, faster, better and more easily. And there will ALWAYS be someone who isn't there yet. 

You must focus not on a future you don't have yet, but on what you can do right now, in the present time. The future hasn't happened and the past is over. The present is all you have to work with. You don't have to know what to do at your age--no one does. You cannot control everything. You can't be everyone else. You're just you--and the more you realize that the more you will see that dwelling on what you DON'T have or what you HAVEN'T done is never going to get you to a point where you HAVE or DO something.  

• Christin K
      1 month agoReport

You're so welcome. I'm an older person and I have seen quite a lot--and this is one of those truths that has become very clear over the years. We only ever have 'right now' to deal with. Once you realize that, it will become easier to achieve anything you want to do! Have fun!! Be yourself! :D

• rj

Be a writer, or councler, you have alot of insight, your still very young, people changes jobs about 3 or 4 times, in there life. I think your very smart, just get the motivation and the guts, go for your dream

• Mickey1 month agoReport

Thank you!

I'm the same as you. 

• Chanel

You are over thinking things. 20 is no age. I knew a woman who got her first diploma when she was 46 and that was cos she was a late developer.

Don't be envious of other people cos things are never what they seem. You do not know if they are going to face hardship later on in life. Meaning there is always something you have that they do not.

As for your dream do not give up on it even if you are still pursuing it 20 years later.

All I have to say is your 20. That is a VERY young age. Calm down. You have plenty of time. I'm 35 years old. And I remember turning 20. Thinking OMG I'm old. Then 21. Then 25. Then 30. It's OK. You don't need to impress other people. Just do what you want. Trust your instincts. And as Nike says.....Just Do It.

Firstly, take advice from your family and friends about whether your dream is realistic. Perhaps it is, and they can give you the push you need to explore your options. Or perhaps it is unrealistic - not so much a dream as a distracting fantasy which is holding you back from what you really ought to be doing. Those who know you best should be able to give you a useful perspective one way or the other, whereas strangers on the internet cannot tell you anything much.

• Mani2 months agoReport

Very true. Talk to people u have in your life. BUT. I must say. You HAVE to chase your dreams. Otherwise you will be wondering what if. What if. etc. Hope this helps

• LAN

If you can be influenced by what someone here says then odds are that you lack the drive or ability to make positive changes in your own life.  Dream in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first.

Graduating from high school, learning to drive, loving your parents, surviving, not committing a crime, not being addicted, staying away from drugs, being a friend, going to college or trade school, working at a job, etc. If you've done some of these things you've accomplished a great deal. Plus, there are countless forgotten little things that you've done in your life that benefited others or brightened their day.

As for accomplishments, being in college or working a job is the best accomplishment most people achieve at age 20. You've still got another 60 years to chase your dreams. And while you may not be able to do your dream as a professional, you can do almost anything as an amateur. E.g. If someone can't become a movie star they could act in the local theater or make their own no-budget film for festivals and YouTube.

If you don't know what you want to do with your life then try out different things. Take a career test.

As for the depression, a twitching eye, and poor sleep see your Dr. or nurse practitioner. He or she should figure out if there is some medical problem causing these symptoms. There are conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes, even a severe allergic reaction to a food, medicine, etc. that can be causing your problems.

Your depression might be due to your poor sleep. Cut back on your caffeine. Try limiting caffeine to once a week and see what that does. Read a good book about how to get good sleep and do what it says. See if anything you eat, drink or medication you take make the symptoms worse and cut back on them. Stop things that keep you up. Replace a repeating negative thought by singing a song in your mind. Cut back on the news and other depressing or irritating media. Exercise 5 minutes a day and increase it by 5 minutes a week until you get to 30 minutes a day.

Depression often means your brain isn't working at its best and so it is more difficult to solve problems, overcome anxiety and enjoy life. Talking with a professional counselor (psychiatrist, psychologist, psychiatric nurse practitioner) is very helpful. Antidepressants can make a world of difference if you're diagnosed with clinical depression, i.e. depression not due to a medical condition. Counseling is expensive but it beats being depressed all the time. Shop around.

As for books, one that really helped me was "Healing Anxiety and Depression" by Dr. Daniel Amen. Finally, don't decide if your life is worthwhile when you're depressed, decide when you're happy. Now go out and get the help you need. Best Wishes!

• Mani2 months agoReport

Very good advice. I find exercise is REALLY helpful for depression. (I was diagnosed with Dysthymia). Do SOMETHING. Anything. Stop thinking so much and ACT. I don't know you that well, so I don't know. But yes seeing a counselor or psychologist works wonders. You can do it.

I think you need to have an idea of who you wanna be and what you wanna do. Find something you love to do and see if you can turn it into a career. If you can then you'll be good to go. Once you know who you wanna be and what you wanna do it will fall into place as long as you take the steps to make that happen. That's what i did and i don't regret it.

• Mani2 months agoReport

Good advice. But I have a feeling this would make him anxious because of performance anxiety. If he/she could tell us what his dream is, it would be really helpful.