Varsha asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can you read a different script than the typicalRoman Letter script fluently? Like besides Spanish or French?

i feel its amazinf how sometimes people In China and Korea can read their ancient scripts super super fast.

I am can't really write anything except English romance letter. But can read Spanish and a little german Because I have studied in school/I speak Hindi but am Bascially Illiterate.

just a fun question. Tc.

ive noticed most indians even in india.

Will read Telegu Or Hindi Ancient scripts Like robots because focus is more on the romanicised , writing in english letters.

So im not saying in a country or a language where its not used widely. for example in vietnam, the ancient script is not used, so it wouldnt count.

just asking for like an asian, Or  arabic or some country, Where the ancient script is still used.

haha yes Totally forgot about russian :P yah that too

i Cant read ANYTHING except English and a Spanish and a little German. French Is so complicated lol

• Michze
    Favorite Answer

Greek, Hebrew/Aramaic.

Some Arabic.

• M.

Yes. 

German fraktur https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraktur Russian, Ukrainian Greek 

Gregg shorthand that I was forced to learn in high school.  This phonetic Gregg script helped me to learn the 3 Cyrillic scripts listed above. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_shorthand

• Mark

Cyrillic and Hebrew to a point.

• Pontus

The Japanese writing system employs three different scripts.  All three can be required in even a simple sentence like: I am American.

Each script has specific uses.

Two of them are syllabaries (symbols represent mora, the Japanese idea of a syllable, not quite the same as ours, instead of individual consonants and vowels like alphabets do, such as the various versions of the Roman alphabet).   I can read those fluently.  (Together, it's about 100 symbols). 

The third script is a subset of Chinese characters as used by the Japanese. It's a logographic script, where characters represent meanings instead of pronunciations. Most characters have at least two different pronunciations (and sometimes many more).  Around 2100 are needed for daily literacy.  I know a couple hundred and I'm getting rusty on those. 

Lol on what you said about French;  I used to teach it. The rules are numerous and complex, but they have very few exceptions. It isn't very phonetic but it's better than English.  Once you know all the rules, there is usually one way to pronounce any given word.  However, the opposite isn't true.  It's often possible to spell a word many different ways (but only one is correct). 

I read Russian and Greek and some Thai.

It's not nearly as hard as people make out. It just takes practice - honestly. When I started Russian it was only a week or so before it seemed I had always known the alphabet.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

👍

Greek. 

Some (not fluent at all) Sanskrit/Hindi (Devanagari)

i can read the cyrillic script quite well