Evictions during covid 19?

I'm currently living with my parents in a 2 bedroom apartment. Im a single mom of 2 kids. I stopped working 3 months ago because my daughters father and I split therefore left me without a babysitter. I called multiple of day cares and didn't make enough. So I quit my job. Anyways the apartment office found out I'm living here so I tried getting on the lease and got denied. They recently found out I'm s here and wrote a letter if my kids and I aren't out in 10 days my parents are getting evicted. Is that legal to do that with this virus going around and everyone is quarantine? I have no where to go. I'm jobless ATM until daycares reopen. I have no idea what to do

You need to call Legal Aid, or see an attorney. Your parents should not have to pay a price for trying to help you.  And 10 days is a pretty short time. You won't get a lease or your name on their lease, because you have no income. You are going to need to make sure you have child support, state assistance and other things that single, unworking mothers can get to help deal with absentee fathers--and you need to work on that situation too.

Call your county's welfare department immediately and start processing your situation through them, including the fact that you may indeed be homeless soon because of this landlord. Do this immediately before the situation gets worse. 

Yes it's legal, kind of like you renting your car to a friend, but then they go ahead and lend it to someone else you don't even know without your knowledge. Everything comes down to liabilities at the end of the day. Look for Women's and children shelter if need be.

Well, they obviously can't evict you, or anyone, if evictions have been halted due to covid-19. However, if you don't move out then they can certainly evict your parents as soon as evictions resume. 

If you don't move, maybe you have 1-2 months before they are allowed to start the eviction (and then maybe another month for the eviction to wind thru the courts), but even getting the eviction started could be really screwing over your parents. 

I'm sorry but I really don't know what you can do either.  Ignore this and your parents will likely be evicted, eventaully.  However, with no job due to the virus you aren't going to be able to rent a new place right now. 

You could attempt to get help, maybe even section 8 housing, but this often takes months to get set up, but no harm in asking (call the county section 8 office - with 2 kids you'll be bumped towards the top of the list).

Could you convince your parents to move into a new, larger place with you where you could all be on the lease? This would not really be a great idea if your parents are mid-lease, but if they are month to month, maybe it would work.

Best luck, I feel your pain. These are very hard times for millions of people, just sorry I can't give you any better ideas.

• n2mama

Yes, it’s legal, although it may not be able to be completed for a while. But if you and the children don’t leave in those 10 days, as soon as the landlord is able, an eviction will be filed against your parents in the court. Even if the sheriff doesn’t physically remove them for a few weeks, you all will end up in the streets and they will have an eviction on their records, making it very difficult to rent from a reputable landlord for a long time.

• R P

Yes it is legal that the landlord sent your parents a Notice to Cure the lease violation. Your parents violated their lease by allowing you & your children to move in without being approved for residency.

However, most courts are closed, so the actual eviction won't happen until the courts reopen & the case is filed.

Source(s): FL landlord

Of course it is legal.  The virus doesn't relieve your parents from their legal obligations.  Guests always have limits, usually 10 days per year.  Children cannot legally live there even if the ll approved them for other reasons, because it is a two-bedroom.  Your parents have one bedroom and you have the other.  If the kids are boy and girl, you need two more bedrooms.  If they are both girls or both boys, then you need one more bedroom.  That's a minimum of 3 bedrooms.  This will be the EASIEST eviction ever.  Having no where to go is your problem, and you quit your job so you won't get sympathy from anyone.  If you still had your job, you would be able to rent another apartment - one that you can afford.  You really screwed yourself and now you want to screw your parents too?  Very selfish of you, and they are too stupid to realize that they are not immune from an eviction, anymore than they are not immune from covid.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

10 days per years is not the usual limit for guests.  In fact, such a strict limit would likely be deemed illegal as it limits enjoyment of the home.  Anyone that stays long enough to be legally considered a resident  (ie 30 days or gets mail there or uses it as legal address) would be in violation of guest limits.  Leases can also list specific limits such as 2 weeks at a time without permission for more/no more than 6 total per year).  Children can absolutely live there.  In many areas 5 people can legally live in a studio or 1 bedroom.  It is common to have 5 people in a 2 bedroom.  Boys and girls do not legally need separate bedrooms, that is just absurd.  That only applies to foster kids or to the number of allowable bedrooms for people in subsidized housing.  They will be entitled to separate bedrooms for boys/girls even though many taxpayers supporting them have less.  You can be in the bedroom with the kids or you can sleep on the couch.

Splitting up is an immature excuse not to work.  Why can't he still watch the kids?  You have options.  There are many low income single parents that manage to find child care.  One option is to work different shifts as a child care partner.  And you each watch the others kids for free.  You should still be able to work at least 30 hours per week and manage to trade off child care.  

There are private babysitters who charge less than a day care center.

Your parents should have added you to the lease when you moved in, offering to pay an additional $100/month to cover additional hot water/wear and tear (unless this is an adult only building).

Eviction restrictions vary.  In many areas, they are only suspended IF it is covid 19 related.  This is not.  This is not acting adult related and making poor choices related.

You say you can't afford day care, but then can't work because day care is not open.

There are people laid off from work temp.  They are collecting unemployment.  They can babysit for cash and still get away with collecting  unemployment and may be willing to work for a low hourly rate.

You have adult options, you chose to not act adult.

• Maxi

Laws are different worldwide........

But you can be sure if you do not leave as you do not have a rental contract and your parents who  didn't ask permission to have you and two kids move in that as soon as the court is up all the applictions made while the court was closed for breach of contract will be heard....and not only you but your parents will be looking for a new place to live...and they will have an eviction on their record

Evictions are on hold for failure to pay rent during the covid-19 crisis.

Evictions are not on hold for failure to comply with all other aspects of your lease.

- yes, yours may be viewed as a "minor" lease infraction but we can't just flip the rules at this time. 

We don't know exactly what your shoes are.  Based on the itty bit of information that we have, I'd be calling the children's father.  If he is in a stable place, then he needs to take physical custody for now.  If that's not available, then go down the list = his extended family, your extended family.  Once the children are taken care of, you can more easily find a place for yourself.

You aren't jobless until day care opens.  You are jobless until you find a job and there are a lot of places hiring.

- in our community there are programs to link childcare providers who are out of work and parents who still need daycare.  Once you get a job, you can look into something like this. 

"Is that legal to do that with this virus going around and everyone is quarantine?"

Yes.   There are zero bans on evicting tenants for having unauthorized residents. 

Sounds like you may have to send the kids to their dad's and check out some homeless shelters for yourself.  Have you contacted your employer and asked for your job back?

Have you considered reconciling with the children's father?    That would solve a lot of problems unless he's a nasty piece of work. 

• Danielle2 months agoReport

I'm allowed back at my job once I find a babysitter. The father works and has no one to watch them either