Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

Can I get my weird dress code changed?

I go to a very small (50 kids in my graduating class small) private hs. Our dress code requires us to wear collared shirts. For women, almost all collared shirts you can find in a store are button up flannels or blouses, and this is what just about every girl in my school wears. The problem is, I'm very busty and wearing a button up in my actual size is kind of impossible. I buy several sizes up and still the shirts gap, pop open, or actually lose buttons. Every day I have to pin my shirt closed (which doesn't work perfectly), find work-arounds like wearing sweatshirts over my clothes, and constantly check my situation to make sure I'm not flashing my Calculus class. A few other girls are in this boat, and it seems like an unfair distraction from our school work. The dress code is supposed to be for professionalism, but that's a moot point considering most kids are wearing flannels every day- and I can't see how having my shirt gaping with cleavage or wearing a men's extra large is professional. Is it reasonable to approach my admin with this issue, and if so how?

(We're not a religious school, so that's not a problem)

You could buy the size that fits your bust and alter it. Or sew the shirt closed along the placket high enough so it won't pop open at the bust but low enough to get it on over your head, which is what I do with most of my buttoned shirts. It's also not impossible to find collared shirts in knit fabrics.

I say just wear similar professional clothes and then anytime someone tells you to change tell them you are going to sue their *** for everything they have

• Squid

So put "clothes for busty women" in Google and pick something you like.  There are many options.