promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What does the idiom 'another country heard from' mean?

I just don't get it lol could you please explain with an example sentence?

Thanks a bunch!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The first two answers are correct but neither points out that it is "county", not "country". The expression dates from sitting around the radio to get election results, which usually come in one county at a time.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • RP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It means someone has added something beyond what the flow of discussion was covering.

• 2 months ago

It just means that someone else has offered a perspective. This is from thefreedictionary.com-

"Fig. yet another person adds to the conversation. Used when someone joins a discussion other people are having, especially unexpectedly. (Used sarcastically, implying that the new speaker is not welcome in the discussion.) Alan: You ought to take a vacation tomorrow. You really look tired. Fred: I am not tired and I don't need a vacation. Jane: But you do seem awfully short-tempered. Fred: Well, well, another country heard from! Brother: Let's go to the movies. Father: I'm too busy to drive you to the movies. Sister: I want to go to the movies, too. Let's go to the movies! Father: Oh, splendid. Another country heard from."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.