promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

When a person has a PhD in the same subject as their masters, should they list both degrees in their credentials?

Just like getting a bachelors degree automatically gets you an associates degree along the way technically, a PhD automatically gets you a masters. However, I was wondering how the degrees should be listed if the masters was completed independently of the PhD, perhaps at a different school.

For example if you obtained a Masters in Public Health, then 10 years later got a PhD in public health, would your credentials be signed as 1 or 2?

1. (Name), PhD, MPH

2. (Name), PhD

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you should list each degree. You do NOT automatically get a master's degree on the way to a Ph.D. In most universities, you have to take a set of comprehensive exams and write a thesis to get the masters degree. Then you take additional exams and write a dissertation for the Ph.D.  It is not unusual for someone to get a masters, and then go back to school years later to get the doctorate degree, and it would be better to show that on your vita. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

I don’t believe you’ll ever have this problem. 

• Neil
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Just like? No. 

At most institutions, students do NOT automatically get an associate degree on the way to a bachelors, nor a masters on the way to a PhD. 

Typically, only one’s highest degree is used. There’s something of an exception with professional degrees,  which MPH is. MPH is even a bit atypical for professional degrees because those obtaining it often do so after obtaining a professional (MSN or MD) or academic (most often PhD) graduate degree. 

• 2 months ago

Only your highest degree is listed, in this case, the PhD. In fact, except for professional qualifications required for licensing/accreditation in your profession (e.g. MSW, etc.) degrees below doctorate or professional degree are not commonly used.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

List?  List where?

First, you are not correct.  You don't get a masters degree until you actually get a masters degree.  May Ph.D. candidates do, but not all. If the university from which you earned your degree would not be able to verify that degree was conferred, you don't list it anywhereOn a resume under "education", you would indicate the university , subject area, and date of any and all degrees.  On a business card, you'd only list the most advanced degree if any.

• 2 months ago

I'm a BS, BS, MS, PhD if that helps Each one from a different school and in a different discipline.

But even if my MS and PhD came from the same school and they were in the same discipline I'd list them both. Each degree represents a certain level of academic achievement and each one should be recognized and indicated. Even if they both are in the same discipline.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the masters and doctorate both are in the same subject, you should list only the PhD. However, if they are in different subjects, list both the Masters and the PhD, because a different Masters might provide additional expertise.

• 2 months ago

That would raise the question of why it took another 10 years to get a PhD. The only benefit to listing all the degree chains would be to show continuity of education and motivation or self drive.

• Jahal
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Ask adviser at your university careers service 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the UK they are listed in order.

MPH, PhD

My son is BSc, MSc, PhD

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.