Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How to make ready-serve Minute Rice not suck?

So- the title basically says it all as far as my question goes, but for context, let me elaborate on what happened.

So, I got a call from my mom this morning asking if I had any ideas about this minute rice thing. Apparently, since he has more free time right now, her husband (my step father) went grocery shopping instead and took a list with him.

However, since he never goes grocery shopping typically, he wasn't sure what exactly to get, so instead of getting any regular white rice, he got the small ready-to-serve cups- six of them (three packs of 2).

So, right now, we can't be wasting food- Money is tighter than ever- so we've got to figure out something to do with these. We tried eating them as they are- but... to be frank... they suck. They're dry and they have this weird cardboard-y taste to them.

Does anyone have any idea for recipes or anything to save these things?

how in gods name do you screw up rice

Minute rice is garbage. Rice is one of the easiest things in the world to make. the Chinese method is called steamed rice. You just need a sauce pan with a tight lid and a see through glass type makes easy even easier. You just take on portion of rice to two portions of water. into a sauce pan with a tight cover. you bring it to a boil and turn the fire down then simmer it for 10 minutes turn the fire off without ever opening the lid and you get perfect rice total cooking time 20 minutes. If you want it sticky then don' wash the rice before you cook it but if you do not want it sticky that is it sticks together which disappears when you add other ingredients with a sauce,then you wash the rice which is done by running water over it and pouring it off until the cloudy stuff which is starch is gone. The starch is added to help preserve the rice. Also some cheaper rice is not that clean. I buy rice in large bags from the oriental store and love the flavor of Jasmine rice. The rice in large bags like 20 pounds will keep perfectly for years so it is a great buy. Minute rice is a joke.unless you love to waste money. and get a product that does not taste that good.

You can add bouillon flavors to them, but just a tiny bit as that stuff is potent, but if you have the powdered or liquid, that might help them. You could also add one of the cups to a pot of soup, if you could make that, like chicken and rice, or veggie, and that would act as the starch instead of noodles, or maybe hide it in a meatloaf, stir fry or chilli, those foods have strong flavors and would hide the rice in it. Also, I just thought of this~ what about rice pudding? You could use it in that for a nice dessert, and the sugar probably would mask the package-y taste. I actually saved this rice pudding recipe as I was having a crave for it so I will share it so you can maybe try it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24059/creamy-ric...

Put them under something flavorfully sauced. You could try chicken and noodles, Stir fry, Strogonof, you get the idea. Cover the cardboard with comfort food.

Easy. Cook it in chicken stock or broth. Sometimes I'll mix in some chicken, mini carrots, and gravy that I've cooked separately. Makes a great casserole. The gravy is easy too...a can of Campbell's mushroom soup, that's all.

• Jahal

Google minute rice hacks,  recipes.

Maybe someone has found a way to make it taste better.

Next time your father in law shops, save the receipt and get a refund

I would remove the rice from the cup/container  it comes in.  Make a casserole and stir the rice into the casserole. 

You would use a bit less liquid than you normally would since the rice will not absorb as much. But the rest of the casserole will "mask" the flavor of the packaging.

Another option, stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage.  Use as you would cooked rice in either.  OR make a stuffed pepper or stuffed cabbage soup using the rice i the soup. 

Making a rice pudding with the rice would be another option the sugar, milk and nutmeg and or cinnamon would mask any off flavors as well. 

A Fried rice with any of your leftovers, adding soy sauce will improve the flavor.