Hannah asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

How do I get my budgie to live longer?

I fed my budgie pellets and veggies daily and fruits, seeds and nuts weekly. He lived to be five years old.  I read this is the best diet for them. However, when I fed a different budgie seeds daily and fruits, veggies and nuts weekly, he lived to be nine years old. The only difference I can think of is my six year old budgie was fed Zupreem and my nine year old was fed a cheap Walmart brand.

Oh! This may not help, but the six year old was from PetSmart and the nine year old was from PetCo.

Ok so I kept calling the five year old one six years old. Sorry. He was five, haha!

Favorite Answer

Chain petstores are known for selling sick birds. 

If you take care of them like you're supposed to then I wouldn't worry about it being your fault. It probably wasn't. Parrots need socialization, and that could be from you or another bird. It doesn't always have to be hands on. Some birds don't like to be touched and would rather "hang out" then be pet. If your parrot was interacted with and taken care of every day they might have just gotten sick. That happens. Birds are very good at hiding illnesses. I have a macaw and don't know much about what budgies should be eating but they should have some vegetables and fruits every day with the pellets or seeds you feeding. More veggies than fruits. A mix of both pellets and seeds probably be best. I'm sorry about your birds. I cant imagine how touch that must be.

Some birds have heart attacks from being handled too much.

• Raven

They're all individuals, as is their health. It's different for each bird. Budgies are prone to tumors. Could be the one that died younger had some cancer inside that wasn't visible, or some other health issue, ir even an inherited tendency to die young. It's hard to say, really.