Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

I’m 5 years older than my boyfriend and I’m closer to his older brother in age. How can I make things less awkward when I meet his family?

(My boyfriend and I are both adults. He’s in his early 20s while I’m in my mid 20s)

I love my boyfriend so much, but I’m just so anxious about meeting his family for obvious reasons. How can I calm myself down and not make a bad first impression? Thank you!

If it helps, I’m also divorced but I have no kids.

Favorite Answer

It's not like you're old enough to be his mom.  This age difference happens plenty.  If you were the BF and he the GF no one would blink at the age difference.  As long as you're happy with each other, that''s the important thing.   You're close enough in age where you could have a life together if you both choose that, but it sounds like you both have time to figure that out.

I felt the same way with my GF's parents as well lol! she was 25 when we first met and I was 19. I was closer to her younger sisters age who was 22 at the time. I think you should be fine! you're both in your twenties so shouldn't matter tbh. Good luck!!   

• H

You've heard stories about guys in their 20s banging women in their late 40s? If that's socially acceptable then why wouldn't it be acceptable for a guy to date a woman who is 5 years older?

5 years is nothing - it's irrelevant. It's literally not an issue unless you choose to make it one.

• God

Just take ques from your boyfriend.  5 years is not so much age difference.  It seems like less and less the older you get.

if you are happy in your relationship and you are both adults, why worry about what other people might or might not think? There are perfectly happy couples in relationships with larger age gaps than this.