SIR

Is it okay to use my real name or surname as a username in online multiplayer games?

I only ever play with random people, no communication.

No don't give out personal information identity theft can be done with just your name

I don't see anything wrong with using your real name or surname when playing against random people, but I might not do it if I was playing against people that I knew. Games are virtual not a real thing.

• Bob

I don't see anything wrong  with using your real name or surnamewhen playing against random people, but I might not do it if I was playing against people that I knew- unless they knew that I played the game in question.

my son says that you should only play games on the websites with "HTTPS". That makes it so noone can figure out who you are!

I would recommed altering your name (mix it up) but using you name I suppose is alright

it's perfectly fine if you're alright with it. there's not too much people can get from your name alone, so even if you're worried about privacy there's not much that it can do to harm you.

sure, if you want to

If you like. Most people don't use their real name because some other player is already using that name, so they might throw some numbers on the end of the name to make it unique. Other people aren't going to think about it much. If your gaming name is Herbert, then most people would assume your real name isn't Herbert.

In general, I think it is good practice to be careful about your online identity. There is no need to announce who you are in most cases, and in most cases it can only invite trouble.

You shouldn't follow my example, because my real name is Intrinsic Random Event, I was lucky, somehow it wasn't taken yet...

• David

I'd do the same thing I do here-stick to my first name.

• Cei

Well you could but why would you want to?