promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
SIR
Lv 7

Is it okay to use my real name or surname as a username in online multiplayer games?

I only ever play with random people, no communication.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No don't give out personal information identity theft can be done with just your name

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I don't see anything wrong with using your real name or surname when playing against random people, but I might not do it if I was playing against people that I knew. Games are virtual not a real thing.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't see anything wrong  with using your real name or surnamewhen playing against random people, but I might not do it if I was playing against people that I knew- unless they knew that I played the game in question.

• 1 month ago

my son says that you should only play games on the websites with "HTTPS". That makes it so noone can figure out who you are!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I would recommed altering your name (mix it up) but using you name I suppose is alright

• 2 months ago

it's perfectly fine if you're alright with it. there's not too much people can get from your name alone, so even if you're worried about privacy there's not much that it can do to harm you.

• 2 months ago

sure, if you want to

• 2 months ago

If you like. Most people don't use their real name because some other player is already using that name, so they might throw some numbers on the end of the name to make it unique. Other people aren't going to think about it much. If your gaming name is Herbert, then most people would assume your real name isn't Herbert.

In general, I think it is good practice to be careful about your online identity. There is no need to announce who you are in most cases, and in most cases it can only invite trouble.

You shouldn't follow my example, because my real name is Intrinsic Random Event, I was lucky, somehow it wasn't taken yet...

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'd do the same thing I do here-stick to my first name.

• Cei
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Well you could but why would you want to?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.