Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Do i have anything to be concerned about?

My kid uses his phone a lot.My relatives have constantly criticized him for that and questioned my upbringing.

It's not that he's neglecting his responsibilities and obligations.He gets good grades and excerises regularly and i know he really works hard towards his passions.He is indeed very talented and really good at many things.

But the moment he finishes studying or excersing he's using his phone or ipad for entertainment.

He doesn't like our relatives and doesn't like spending time with them.So he has no choice but use the internet when he's bored so they presume that he must be really dull and untalented and call him names and tell me to do something about him.We just meet them once an year so they don't know him very well.

ant nothing wrong with ur kid. kids are social and this is his way of having access to people and things. its a electronic world, they need to get use to living in it,

Well for one this is something that you and your son need to work on together. For example talk to him about doing other things besides being on the internet all the time and encourage him to other things like reading a book and limit the amount of time that he spends on the internet. For example cut the internet down to 30 minutes, video games down to an hour, and TV down to 2 hours unless he's using the television. However there are exceptions to this rule though, For example if he's watching a football game or he's using an exercise DVD or using his phone to workout on social media or on an app then that's perfectly fine. Other then that, cut down his screen time to those times that I mentioned or whatever limitations you find appropriate. As for your relatives, tell them to butt out and mind their own business.

Take away your son's iPad and phone, at least when you go to see the relatives ( or they come to you) and encourage your son to get to know the rest of his family. Set a good example by doing the same thing yourself- not talking on YOUR phone when you're around them, and not using an iPad either. That will stop the criticism.

When you're at home, it's none of your relatives' business what your son does. They don't get to call the shots where he's concerned. That's your job.

You should worry that you don't have the backbone to stand up for yourself. Tell the relatives if they don't butt out, they will no longer be welcome, and stick to it. And encourage Junior to READ, not just play games. There are millions of books on the internet.

< and call him names and tell me to do something about him.We just meet them once an year so they don't know him very well. >

this is very common in troll families.  As the mother troll, you should throw them off the bridge when they do this.

I mean, on one hand, these people don't know him and they need to be quiet... on the other hand, it's good have hobbies other than the phone and there's lots of ways to entertain oneself without the internet. But, whatever, just say, "Thank you for your concern, I'll give that as much thought as it deserves."

Tell them it is NONE of their business what your son does or does not do.  My child spends a great deal of time on the computer and phone, but she gets good grades and does get outside, so you are not doing anything I am not doing.

"so he has no choice but to use the internet"? Of course he has a choice. And one of those choices he should be choosing is to make an effort to spend time with relatives out of respect for them especially when they seem him so infrequently. Because as you know as an adult and parent, the child is not the center of the world. Plus it is logical that he doesn't like relatives he doesn't know well especially if he isn't given a larger opportunity to get to know and appreciate them. You should listen to your relatives and take his phone away until the end of the visit.

• audrey

He sounds like a really good kid. Ignore your relatives. They're just jealous you have such a great child!

Yes, you should be concerned that you can be swayed by people you only see once a year.  Sounds like a perfectly normal teenager to me.