Is it etiquette to ask a girl to pay the bill on a date?

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

If there are issues about who is paying for what these issues should be addressed BEFORE the date is made. 

If the lady is doing the inviting and it's not clear that is inviting to be her guest, to enjoy a good time at her expense, then ASK about it. "If I say yes, how much should I plan on spending?" If her plan doesn't suit you, then you say "Thanks for thinking of me but I'd rather not." 

If you're issuing a limited invitation, a qualified invitation, them you state those limits and qualifications when you issue the invitation. "I could get a pizza for us to share -- or we could get something fancier if you we're going Dutch." 

You NEVER let expenses occur and then AFTERWARDS let it be known that you expect someone else to pay. NEVER. If the lady doesn't seem to understand that it's her turn to cover costs, you TELL her -- but in a nice way. "I'd love to see you next weekend, but the money isn't there to take you anywhere." Her response will let you know whether she (a) understands the need for her to contribute or (b) isn't interested in seeing you unless you're paying her way. 

• J

Whoever invited the other person out should be prepared to pay. Generally on a first date, the man pays, but if the woman offers to pay, that’s ok too. I’m all about equality between men and women but if you ask a girl out and expect her to pay, don’t expect a second date. 

• Carol

You are going to remain a virgin for a long long time......

No, one should never ask anyone to pay. 

i wouldnt ask, she might not want to go on another date with you

It is never polite to ask anybody to pay the bill. If they offer, it's up for discussion.The person who invited the other person should have made their intentions clear.

"Hi, would you like to join me for pizza at Hungry Joe's on Thursday? I thought we could go dutch.""Hi, would you like to join me for pizza at Hungry Joe's on Thursday? My treat."

You mean is it GOOD etiquette or BAD etiquette. It depends on the situation.

You don’t have to ask. It’s understood that the girl pays for the meal on a date. She also pays for the movies and your cab/Uber ride home if she doesn’t drive or don’t want to drive you home. 

• marys.momma

Wishful thinking to the max.  Save up your pennies so you can pay for your burger and hers at Mickey D's.  If you feel like a big spender and have extra money, spring for Cokes and fries too.

only if she's a sugar momma

yes, the girl always has to pay the bill on the date

Only if you don't intend seeing her again.