promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why do some people add lemon slices or onion slices to food marinade . Isn’t it pointless.?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Well it depends who cooks it

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The citrus in the lemon slices has an effect on the flavour and tenderising the meat.

Onion has some kind of 'acid' in it so it could add to the marinade in some way?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Nope, not at all.   In fact the lemon not only tenderises the meat (or poultry), it's very good to clean salmonella off poultries and meats  IF you are slow-cooking (or even fast cooking), the onions will provide flavouring.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not if you want flavor from them. The acid from lemon can tenderize too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Absolutely not. Flavor enhancements are subtle. You don't always notice them but they do infuse the meat with extra flavor.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I would use the juice or the granulated form. The slices, in my opinion, are for looks.when serving.

• 2 months ago

Lemon can add a LOT of flavor.  It can also begin to change the proteins in the meat and have a tenderizing effect.  Or if left too long in an acidic marinade meat can "cook" like in a ceviche or it can turn chicken mushy. 

I will add lemon to lamb when I marinate it along with salt, pepper,olive oil, rosemary and garlic they all flavor the meat. 

Onion does the same thing if you want more flavor from the onion in the marinade I would grate it so more of the juices are able to do their job. 

When cooking a piece of meat that has been marinated with lemon I also cook the lemon as there is much more flavor when the lemon is cooked and the juices are easily squeezed out of it.  (after being used in a marinade if you do not cook the lemon or onion it should be tossed)

• 2 months ago

Of course it is not pointless. Those are two very bold flavors that can add a lot to the overall taste of the food.

• 2 months ago

It's not pointless. When done right these ingredients do give off flavors.

• 2 months ago

Lemon works great as its sourness will enhance the taste.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.