Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Why do some people add lemon slices or onion slices to food marinade . Isn’t it pointless.?

Well it depends who cooks it

• denise

The citrus in the lemon slices has an effect on the flavour and tenderising the meat.

Onion has some kind of 'acid' in it so it could add to the marinade in some way?

• Mark

Nope, not at all.   In fact the lemon not only tenderises the meat (or poultry), it's very good to clean salmonella off poultries and meats  IF you are slow-cooking (or even fast cooking), the onions will provide flavouring.

Not if you want flavor from them. The acid from lemon can tenderize too.

Absolutely not. Flavor enhancements are subtle. You don't always notice them but they do infuse the meat with extra flavor.

• JOHN B

I would use the juice or the granulated form. The slices, in my opinion, are for looks.when serving.

Lemon can add a LOT of flavor.  It can also begin to change the proteins in the meat and have a tenderizing effect.  Or if left too long in an acidic marinade meat can "cook" like in a ceviche or it can turn chicken mushy. 

I will add lemon to lamb when I marinate it along with salt, pepper,olive oil, rosemary and garlic they all flavor the meat. 

Onion does the same thing if you want more flavor from the onion in the marinade I would grate it so more of the juices are able to do their job. 

When cooking a piece of meat that has been marinated with lemon I also cook the lemon as there is much more flavor when the lemon is cooked and the juices are easily squeezed out of it.  (after being used in a marinade if you do not cook the lemon or onion it should be tossed)

Of course it is not pointless. Those are two very bold flavors that can add a lot to the overall taste of the food.

It's not pointless. When done right these ingredients do give off flavors.

Lemon works great as its sourness will enhance the taste.