promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I recently got a 2020 Jetta S. I was at a red light and shifted over to m1.?

I thought that meant sport mode or something. When the light turned green i drove for a few seconds and the engine was super loud. I switched back to drive but i'm worried that i may have hurt the engine. the rpm's read about 5 or 6. when i saw how far the gauge was over i let off the gas. the whole thing lasted a few seconds.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably not a thing was harmed.  At worst you may have reduced the engine life from 300,000 to only 290,000 miles.

Modern engines have built in governors so people can not destroy them until the warranty is over.

• I think you're right. I dont understand the purpose of m1. I'm just going to avoid it at all costs. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

The "M1" means "Motor One". You shift into that mode when you plan to blow up the engine. Ha! Nah, I doubt you boogered it up. I used to red line my GTI a lot and never boogered up the engine.

• 2 months ago

It means Manual mode. You need to shift it yourself. You drove in 1st gear. A few seconds won't kill it.

• 2 months ago

I doubt if you will have done any noticeable damage. 

That's an automated manual gearbox. For what it's worth, you put it in manual mode, 1st gear, and that's where it will stay unless you do something about it.  Using M+ will shift it up a gear, one at a time, from M1 to M5 (or M6 if you have a six-speed) and M- will shift it down likewise one gear at a time. Leaving it in D or E will let it do it's own thing, just like any auto.

• ...Show all comments
    • Joe
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

40 feet, revving high in first gear won't hurt it (unless the engine was ice cold when you did it).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

EPIC FAIL. At least read the manual for your car, dumbass. 

• Scott
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Read your owner's manual before you do destroy it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.