I was sent a letter of "involuntary separation" due to covid-19 ?

I live in Houston, Tx.  I traveled to Louisiana the weekends of March 13th-15th and March 20th-22nd for personal matters.  This was prior to any travel restrictions.  Management found out about my trips a d placed me on a 14 day quarantine.  Today April 6th, I completed my quarantine.  This evening I recieved my notice of termination for "repeated trips to Louisiana".  Do I sign this notice?  Do I need a employment lawyer?  I just don't know?? I've never been fired , and never thought I would get fired for going out of town.  No travel restrictions were put in place at the time by my employer or the state.  Any advice is appreciated.  

I would like to post the letter sent but not sure if allowed.  

You do not have to sign anything. They can fire you. You are fired whether you sign it or not. No lawyer can help you.

maybe you should talk to a lawyer about it

UNANSWERABLE

You need to re-post your question.

Include this info.

(1)

Your employer specifically informed employees of the following in respect to travel before you travelled.

(2)

'Mngt placed you on quarantine' means what exactly? 

(3)

Were you paid while 'in quarantine'?

DON'T SIGN ANYTHING right away.

If you were terminated simply because the employer is worried that you may contaminate somebody then you are being terminated through no fault of your own which would therefore make you eligible to collect unemployment.

If you sign the paper you may be forfeiting the right to collect unemployment. DON'T SIGN it until you know more.

• Fried Kitten

My advice is based upon understanding of NY law. I must imagine that in TX the same core protections exist for workers who are terminated through no fault of their own. You should make a point of understanding this term: terminated through no fault of your own. 

• Robert

If you were off on the days you traveled your employer has no say of what you do and where you go on your days off. If there isn't more here than meets the eye you should talk to a lawyer. I get the impression that if you got fired, they never said a reason. If they actually said repeated trips to Louisiana, they are idiots. So I am guessing they did not or you're not telling the whole story, or you make the whole thing up. Please let us all know which.

• Robert

No need.  If you were on your own time they can't dictate what you can do.  They probably can ask you not to come in for 14 days during the emergency, but they fired you without just cause.  I'd see an attorney since they printed the unjust cause in the letter.