promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What should I do about my car?

What should I do? I have a balance of $10,000 on my van loan. I need new breaks, tires and motor, this will cost minimum of $7000.00.  They were will to do $3000.00 trade in because they could hear the engine noise.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Get a 2nd opinion on what work needs to be done.  I wouldn't trust anyone telling me my vehicle needs a new motor just "by a noise" and I wouldn't trust someone offering me $3000 for it as-is if they knew the vehicle actually needed ~$5000+ worth of work to profit on the resale.  Not to mention you'd be $7000 upside-down if you took their "deal", which is also very bad.  Good luck.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

a) It's spelled BRAKES. Fail

b) You have no choice but to keep driving it and fix it unless you've got at least $7000 in cash to make a trade-in work. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'd get a second opinion on the engine, from someone not trying to sell you a vehicle.  You could bring in a 2020 vehicle to trade in with 2 miles and they will find something wrong with the motor ;)

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Brakes and tires are NORMAL maintenance items - so deduct that amount. Then get a second opinion on the motor - actually get a second opinion on all problems - sounds like you are getting taken to the cleaners.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

IOW, to get rid of this van right now, you'd have to give it up AND pay $7,000.

But, if you spend the $7,000 on repairs, you'd at least keep the van and have it be operational.

There's no way to get out from under such a bad loan deal. But, at least spending the money on repairs gets you an operational van at this time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.