Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Can someone explain what exactly is a vpn and how does it work? ?

I am recently new at working from home. I have a company laptop and use my personal internet however I have to use my phone to connect my work laptop to the corporate VPN. In doing this does this give them full access to my personal phone and the daily traffic from my phone as well or just my work laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that they have full access to my work laptop which I don’t mind but am sorta worried about my personal phone as I have forgot to log off VPN at night and left VPN connected while I chat away all night on my personal phone. 

• Dick

Using a work VPN for work makes sense to me but I'm not convinced that a personal VPN makes a lot of sense. I recently thought I should have my own VPN and I gave IPVanish a try for a few days. It required me to pay a years fee up front and allowed me to try it for a week and still be able to cancel it with a full refund. If I went over the 7 days I'd lose my money. In setting up the VPN it allowed me to select which server I wanted to use or allow the software to "select the best choice". I allowed to see what the software selecting the best choice would give me. I have Comcast as my ISP and typically am seeing 350 Mbps download speeds with about 12 Mbps upload speed. So while using the IPVanish VPN I noted things were slow, at least compared to what I was used to. I like SpeakEasy as an internet speed test so I started running speed checks at various times and on various sites I visited and I did that for about 3 days. The bad news was that the speed tests were all over the place in download speeds. The best I saw on a single test was 110 Mbps but that was only one time. The WORST I saw was 2 Mbps. Many of the tests I ran were below 20 Mbps so the page loads overall were atrocious. I got on with their Tech Support but they only had me change one setting and it didn't help at all. It was interesting to note that with all the speed testing I did, I was typically seeing about 12 Mbps upload speeds. That didn't vary much. So you may want to ask around about what VPN provide the best service and reliable speeds. Now I understand that with all the connections that might be involved that you'll probably lose some speed at each on, but 2 Mbps was the deciding factor for me so I dumped their service. I'm not sure which VPN service would be the best choice but it certainly should be researched before you lay any "unrefundable" money down or sign any long term contracts. Good Luck. I hope this helps!

• Lv 7

a VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a way to make it like your computer is on the work network. like you are right there at work with it.

depending on how they set their network up, they may have access to your PC, but no more than on your PC at work.

if you want to know for sure, you can ask them. they must tell you, legally.

A VPN, aka Virtual Priate Network is an encrypted connection to a server, or group of severs that allow you to function as if you were part of the private network of which the servers are part. For individual users, it routes all internet traffic through the VPN so the activity appears to originate from the VPN, not the individual user.

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) normally provides extra protection often using encryption between two end points. It will depend on just how the VPN operates in your PC as to whether all traffic from the laptop goes through the VPN.

Before I retired, my company provided a form of remote desktop application that was used both on my home PC and on PCs in the office. The actual Windows system and corporate Windows applications all took place on around 10 large Windows servers, that supported around 250 users. Using the application from home or from any office PC meant simply logging into the local remote-desktop application on the PC I was using and it then provided an identical screen image on whichever PC I was using. I could log off in the office and log in again when I got home and carry on working.

The remote-desktop application had a built-in VPN end point that connected to a similar end point in the corporate servers. All traffic to and from the office servers was encrypted.

From my home PC, I could launch a local Internet browser or email program, which woorked as normal and did not use the VPN or go through the office servers. A few of users, including me as I worked in the IT department, could also access the Internet with a browser through the office system over the VPN, although this was generally somewhat slower.than using a local browser from home.

I guess your work laptop is set up so that all network traffic is routed via the VPN.

Regarding your phone line. Unless you are using a VOIP (Internet) phone connected to the laptop, then anything that happens with respect to normal phone calls will be totally independent of the Internet traffic and the connection to the office. A normal landline phone uses totally different and incompatible signals over the phone line from the data traffic over the Internet so there is no way your phone calls, even those where you might phone the office, can be recorded over the Internet/VPN connection.

The same is generally true for cell phones and cellular data; however, since the cellphone will normally be handling voice, text and data connections it is theoretically possible to have some form of spyware in the phone that relays voice and text messages and provides access to files over the cellular data connection. This would require special software to be loaded on to the phone possibly introduced by downloading an App or receiving a text message which is carrying the spyware. This seems highly unlikely.

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It basically allows remote sites or users to connect to a main site and have access to the main site's IT resources as if you were physically present. In other words, when you connect to your company's network via their VPN, you have access as if you were in your office or work area.

Depending on how the VPN was setup, it may be possible that all of your network traffic is routed to your company or just the company-specific network gets routed to them. Your company cannot access any of your phone's files. Although I'm curious why you have to use the VPN on your phone. It should also be possible to have the VPN on your work laptop.