carol asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COOK EGGPLANT?

One way I suggest NOT cooking eggplant: don't fry slices of eggplant in oil. They soak up oil like crazy! Frying slices of a large eggplant would take in excess of a half quart of oil or more.

• Jerry

I like to cut it longitudinally (long ways) into spears or "steaks" and grill it. You can melt some cheese on the "steaks." 

I'll often grill cucumber spears at the same time. 

I live in Florida and can grill out all year. 

• Baba Ganouj

1 medium eggplant

oil

3 tablespoons tahini

juice of one large lemon

1 clove garlic chopped fine

salt

chopped parsley

Wash and dry eggplant. Place in an oiled pan (lined with foil helps with cleanup) under the broiler. Broil, turning several times until evenly charred and tender (like roasting bell peppers). Let cool, remove skin and mix eggplant with remaining ingredients (except parsley). Sometimes I stir in a big spoonful of plain yogurt - kind of lightens and brightens it up. Chill for at least an hour. Serve cold or room temperature sprinkled with parsley. Use as dip with veggies or pita chips or any way you'd use another dip or hummus.

Eggplant Parmesan is my number 1 choice. Second is just rolled in cornmeal

and fried.

• denise

Par bake them in halves,  scoop out the flesh, mix it with fine diced onions, steamed cous-cous, crumbled feta, little chopped mint, add the mix back to the eggplant halves, then continue baking.

This is nice for a veggie lunch,   [you could also add some chopped sun dried tomatoes].

Moussaka is made with sliced / charred eggplant layered with chopped tomatoes & cooked minced lamb, then topped with a thick béchamel,  [similar to Lasagne], if your short of eggplant slices you can add zucchini slices and/or cooked potato slices.

• Lv 5

Sounds good. I will have to try it.

• Simple is bake it and feel it. Prefer 3 tsp. of vinegar with minced of garlic and a little salt as a sauce.

My favorite is cooked with coconut milk with shrimps (head-on). Ingredients are onions, red hot peppers, ground peppers, and salt.

• ted

Bake the eggplant.  Cut the eggplant into strips and bake them; or slice into rounds, add a breaded or spiced coating, and bake for the beginning of eggplant Parmesan or a simple side dish.