Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Your literature class will read 33 novels this year, chosen by the class vote from a list of 77 possible offered by the teacher. ?

A. How many different ways could the course unfold, given that it probably matters what order you read the books in?

B. How many different choices of books for the class make?

Anyone know how to solve a and b with the given information ?

A is asking for the number of partial permutations of 33 items from 77. B is asking for the number of combinations of 33 items from 77. There are well-known formulae for both of these. If you have a scientific calculator, it probably has built-in functions for them.

Me! I do! It's simple. All you do is add 33 to 77, which is, I don't know, about 130, 140, something like that, and divide the figure by 2 which gets you 35 or so. Somewhere around there, anyway. Then you take that result and divide it by the number of people in the class, which I don't know, obviously, but you do, and when you do it you'll probably get the answer. Well, hope this helped.