What did I do to my knee?

A few months ago Hollie was running and a puppy cut under her feet, trying to dodge stepping on the puppy, she landed weird on her leg and twisted her knee. For a few days the knee wouldn't straighten and pops when she tried. Hollie was limping for a week. Hollie said it hurts more on outer side of knee cap.

It is now months later and after Hollie got past the first week it got better and she didn't seek medical help.

Hollie is noticing her knee is getting worse due to physical activity, and when she sits for long periods of time she gets a limp again! When will it stop? What did she do to it?

I would suggest you go see an orthopedist, as they are the doctors who specialize in the bones and joints. I had a similar injury myself - twisted my knee, and it would pop every time I would bend and straighten my leg. I went to an orthopedist who suspected a meniscus tear, and sent me for an MRI. The MRI confirmed his diagnosis, and I had surgery for the tear. 

That said, you'll get more answers if you go in. 

ask your doctor not me