promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
?
Lv 4
? asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Does the 'I want to be in America' song from Westside Story migrants suggest any benefit to Saxon Americans?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The song presents both sides of the immigrant point of view.  The girls sing about how wonderful it is in America, the boys sing of the disadvantage an immigrant is saddled with--poverty, discrimination/segregation/etc., that the were basically 2nd-class citizens here.  This is all from the perspective of the late 1950s, but it's amazing how little has changed, really.

I worked with a guy from India and we became good friends.  He came here to get his master's degree, and then he had to leave the country to apply for a 're-entry visa' which would allow him to stay a couple years and work here.  I suggested we both go up to Vancouver, BC, because I love the place.  I went with him to the American Consulate where we found a long long line of young people snaking from the door of the Consulate, down three flights of stairs, through the lobby of the building, and down the street a block.  They were all kids about his age, from EVERYWHERE, who'd come to the US for an education and wanted to stay and work.  It was like a party!  Kids from South Africa, Taiwan, Pakistan, Argentina, Scotland, etc.etc.  It was actually kind of nice to see.

They asked me how I became a citizen.  8^P  I told them I did it the easy way, by being born here. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

WTF are "Westside Story migrants"? In any case it's West Side Story, not Westside Story. Get it right, Dwight.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.