Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 2 months ago

How can I safely remove silicone residue from beauty products on my face?

I've been using a sunscreen that contains a lot of dimethicone, and it's leaving an oily residue on my skin that isn't coming off with my typical face cleanser (Cerave for oily skin). 

I've read a lot of articles online about removing silicone buildup from hair, but I'm having a hard time finding out what I can do for this residue on my skin. 

I feel as though the buildup can be easily removed from my hands and other areas of my body with soap, but I wouldn't be able to use the soap I have right now on my face because that skin is much more sensitive than the skin on my hands. 

Not sure if this is relevant, but I have oily acne prone skin that is pretty sensitive. If anyone knows of any products I can use, or has any others suggestions on how I can remove this silicone residue, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!

• Laura

Its harsh, but plain dawn dish soap will get rid of it.  Use ONE drop, no more, and massage it into the skin, then rinse thoroughly. 

You might consider adding in a chemical exfoliant to help break this down on a daily basis if you regularly use this product.  A toner with BHA, AHA, or things like salycylic acid chemically exfoliate the skin. 

I would consider getting a different brand of sunscreen if it is leaving behind a residue that your normal cleanser/skincare routine doesn't remove all of it.