how to prevent getting paranoid with someone?

weeks ago, i took my new boots into a local timpson shoe repair shop over a problem with my boots......and the man who inspected the boots said '' thats unusual , yes that's very unusual''..............and because i have paranoia, i applied what he said to myself and thought  he was saying that '' i was unusual''....and i felt offended and angry towards the man.......it turned out there was nothing he could do to fix my boots so i was civil and courteous and left.

but internally i felt offended and angry towards his little comments about my boots, because i fixated he was saying ' i was very unusual'. and i felt like i could punch his lights out.

i'm a man aged 42 and struggled lifelong with my confidence and i also deal with paranoia about people and think people are talking about me or referring to me.

what's the best way to deal with this and prevent getting paranoid and angry?

in my adulthood i have never been that confident about my appearance, i'm bald, very tanned, caucasian and have a moustache.

Favorite Answer

Given your paranoia seems to be impacting your day to day functioning, consider seeking professional help where you can learn important strategies to counteract your strong negative thinking.  This would also help you identify why you feel so harshly about yourself and why you have transferred that perspective onto other people.  You assume others see you in the same way that you see yourself.  Why?

• thanks but i think you are wrong and are actually assuming false things about me, i do not see myself harshly at all, my paranoia caused me to think he was thinking or saying demeaning things about me, nothing to do with how i think about myself.

Why do you talk about your mental health every time you ask a question?  He wasn't saying you're unusual, just the boots.

i dont think he was talking about you, he was talking about your boots

Anger management classes and other psychological help.