Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Is this normal?

My baby turned one last month and he’s been able to stand by himself for about 10 seconds until he loses his balance and falls. Is this normal or should he be able to stand without losing his balance? I also have to lift him up and make sure his feet are flat on the ground before I can let go of him and let him stand by himself. 

I'm nou qualified but it sounds pretty normal. He has to figure it out, even putting his feet flat. Don't worry mum!

He is not standing he balances for a few seconds, ALL babies do this. He is building muscles and working on balance.

Still normal. 

-------------

Seems normal enough to me ....in a few more years  ( at 6or7 ) it will probably be a toddler and not only be walking  , but will be running  around already !

Most likely totally normal, turning one is not really a magically moment in which a child suddenly learns to walk... anytime between 10-18 months I believe is "normal". If you are concerned, talk to his pediatrician, chances are that he's just fine and will get there when he's ready.

• Tomalochk

Shouldn't be a problem as long as when it's a 6 year old toddler it is completely normal (?)

This is a question for your pediatrician.  "Normal" is broad when it comes to when babies are able to stand and walk and isn't in isolation to other developmental milestones.

Does he crawl?  Does he sit unaided on the floor? Does he try to pull himself up to standing?  These are necessary steps towards being able to stand.  These activities help with muscles development needed to stand as well as coordination. 

Don't lift your son to standing.  This isn't doing him any favors.  He needs to develop strength in his thighs, core, and arms. 

If you are worried, call your pediatrician and discuss what is going on.