Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Where do you live in if you work for WHO? ?

I'm currently living in Australia and I've always wanted to work for the World Health Organisation. Where would you live if you do work for WHO? I'm planning on moving to the US for education, so whereabouts would you live in, in either the US or Australia? 

• Foofa

The W in WHO stands for "world" and that organization has personnel all around the globe. If you're just coming to the US for educational purposes chances are highly likely you'll be headed back to Australia before you get this WHO job. So perhaps you'd be there...or maybe WHO would ask you to relocate to some other nation. My guess is that after this COVID 19 debacle the US/WHO relationship isn't going to be a good one for some time into the future.

You first must be a physician or have an advanced degree in something like public health or a hard science field of interest to the WHO such as epidemiology.  

https://www.who.int/careers/who-we-need/en/

Then, to get employment with any UN organization you need upport form your government.  Communicate with the office of your Member of Parliament to get the support. 

IF you work as a professional with WHO, you will go to some impoverished third world country & be shifted around as needs change. You will NOT get legal residency anywhere - only temporary permission to work as WHO employee.

The WHO headquarters is in Geneva Switzerland and was chosen to be headquartered there because Switzerland is a neutral country in most work affairs or conflicts. There are hundreds of regional offices though to work from. Many are here in the US. Australia is home to the WHO pacific region so you could live almost anywhere and work for them.

The WHO I hear was created by China and I think they're based out of the UK.

There are no American doctors in it. So... I don't think you'll find a base here.

Can aim for the epidemic response team in the US. But they've been disbanded and you might want to wait until the current stupid Potus is out before they reassemble.