Allie
Allie asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

What do you think of homegrown fruits and vegetables?

I grow much my own.... but you/I cannot grow everything both climate and area as well season .... some items like a tomatoes is so much better home grown 

I cannot eat oranges that been on the tree for more than a day

but my own asparagus was no better then store bought 

I never grew Brussels sprouts does not mean I never will eat them,

They are far better and far safer than store-bought.

They are simply the best! They are truly fresh and tastier I think. They make healthy meals that do not include any toxins. I just love a salad with the lettuce from my dad's garden along with his tomatoes and cucumbers. So Good!!!

They always taste better than store vegs.

• denise

Much better and fresher than shop bought,  My neighbour used to bring me veggies from his allotment.

was raised on them and so were my kids. Love canned fruit to this day because thats what we ate in winter when I was a kid.

Back in the 50's there were very few fresh veggies outside of potatoes and onions available during winter months in northern areas so most housewives grew and canned everything they could for the coming winter. What ever my mom couldn't raise, like peaches, pears and apricots, she bought in cases and brought them home to can.

• ckngbbbls
      1 month agoReport

jams and jelly too. Of course here in the US, jelly is a clear bread spread, not gelatin like in UK..the folks also picked wild fruit like june berries, crab apples, plums, choke cherries and those were canned as fruit or the fixings for jams and jellies.

Absolutely love them. When I was a kid my father always planted a garden, and where I am located, the climate was not always kind to some of the veggies he tried, but we still had a huge variety that my mother either froze, bottled or kept in the dry cellar, and we always had wonderful meals from the harvest. We didn't get into fruits as about the only thing that would grow was apples or berries.

Can often be better than from shops which may have been kept in cold storage for some time.

They are great if you can grow them. 

I can not always grow the fruits and vegetables that I would like. 

I grow what I can and then buy locally fresh or frozen. (some frozen is actually "fresher" than some fresh items.)

I think they are great.