Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is 47 years old too old to live with parents?

• ron h

Depends on why.  Lots of things are why.  The most important thing is that you're NOT living with me.  (I would suggest that you should have a LOT of money in the bank by now)

I'm in my 20s and still sharing a room, in my parents house. I would be lying to say I am loving it but it's what I can afford. People usually assume im lazy because I still live at home, but actually I am a busy person. I do open university, work part time and am a musician. It's just unfortunate I don't earn enough to move out and because my uni course is part time I don't get enough to live off with finance. People have always took the mick out of me for sharing a room at my age, but I am thankful I have a roof over my head. I would say look at the bright side of things and I'd say its about having a roof over your head you should be thankful for and not necessarily about your age. 

No, because one has to consider the circumstances. My previous hairdresser, who appeared in her 40s or 50s, lives with her parents, and she worked everyday in the city doing a successful job as a city hairdresser. I know a lawyer in another city who is in her 50s and she lives with her father, despite being quite well off and successful.

I also know a 86 year old street musician who lives with his wife, their son and their son's family.

There is no problem with it. Living with parents or close relatives saves money on housing.

Oh... and I myself am 32 and still live with the parents. Not really by choice, but I enjoy sharing the roof with people I love. And I am capable of living independently - just can't afford it and at the moment, it's out of my means.

• Lily

Exactly. Sometimes people enjoy living with family for the company as well. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Personally, if someone has a problem with it I really don't see where they get the authority to voice their opinion on the matter.

Who said it was? What's the thinking behind it? A person reaches an age so they should leave the people who loved and cared for them all their lives? The only time it would be wrong would be if you didn't get along and spent most of your time in your bedroom avoiding them - but that can apply at ANY age!! I'm sick of this mentality that it's 'not cool' to care for/about your parents - or get along well enough with them that you don't move out. Enjoy your life and know many people are very envious of anyone who still gets along with their parents!!

• e9601:

Definiatly. Unless you take care of them.

No. It's really nice that you are taking care of your parents now that they are old. 

Not if you have a real good reason for doing so, such as taking care of them

Whether you live with you parents is a decision that should not be based upon age. Depending on your circumstances, it may be very beneficial for them and for you to live together.

It is always a good healthy thing for people to live independently as adults, I recognize that... but when your family needs support, you can and should give that support, and that has nothing to do with anybody's age.

Someone in that position should have a long hard think about what is best for everyone concerned. I wouldn't recommend living with your parents at that age if there wasn't a genuine need for it, but in some circumstances, it may be a good thing.

If you are dependent on them then yes.  If they are dependent on you then no.

• marsel_duchamp

Yes, Anna I agree.  I did not consider circumstances like that.  I should have included there are exceptions.  My wife's cousin was mentally handicapped but able to live on his own with help from his mother and siblings

Yes, unless you are required to assist them.