Gigs asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Desktop Icons Disappeared?

Hi, I am working from home on a company computer. When I logged in today, my desktop icons are displaced to another area of the screen. When I move them all back, many of them seem to "disappear" to an area above the screen and now I can't get them back. Is there a way to do this? I am on Windows 7.

Try changing your screen resolution.  Maybe you've got a viruss?  and theyre just being deleted?

• DEBS

First, I'm amazed any company is still on Windows 7.  That is unsupported and an easy target for viruses and data being stolen.

Go to you display settings and change the resolution of your screen.  

If that doesn't help, sometimes if you move from 2 displays to one this can happen.  A restart may help, but if it doesn't you'll need to go to your display settings again and tell it the correct number of monitors.  Online searches for the exact behavior will get you in the right direction.

Try doing a system restore, go back when all was good. But first, try a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes.

Turn it of and start again.  Still doing it? Then contact your company's IT people. There's probably someone still there, isolated in an office somewhere.

• DEBS

Her company still is running Windows 7.  I would not trust anything from that IT dept.

It would obviously be more sensible to contact your company's IT dept or person rather than some random bunch of strangers on a site like this who have no knowledge of your system or its set-ups.