ShortBus asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Dog sneezed up a mess of blood. Was fine before and seems fine after. Eats and drinks as normal, no change in demeanor or daily habits.?

I've not seen this happen before.

He did paw at his face for a good 5 minutes or so after, but then seemed to forget about it and be OK. Nothing since then.

Vets are only seeing emergencies right now. Do dogs get simple nosebleeds?

The dog (he's ancient, at least 15, maybe older, but healthy as far as I know) seems happy and hungry and perfectly himself.

I know he doesn't have much time left. I'm not sure what to do. I love him to bits but I'm not inclined to go to extreme measures (or expense) ... he's old, he's had a good life, and (sadly) his time is up.

My question is ... Is it time to call it DONE?

I rely on my Vet to call it done.

Right, why spend the time and money on an old dog?

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

It's not the money, or the dog's age.  I wish this dog could live forever, but I know he won't.  I won't subject a very elderly dog, which he is, to tests and treatments which may prolong his life by days or weeks, but won't improve his quality of life.  I think he's about done.  

He is not in pain. He is eating & drinking just fine. He eats his food. He is happy most of the time & just because he sneezes a little blood when he sneezes. He is not suffering. Personally, from what you have said, his time is not up yet.

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

The last dog I had to euthanize ... She ate her food and drank water right up to the last day.  She wasn't sick, was showing no sign of pain or distress.  But she got herself disoriented and LOST among the legs of the table and chairs in my dining room.  It was the saddest thing.  And it was time.

Just going to say that when my 16 yr old dog did a bloody sneeze we took him in that day and didn't come home with him alive. Why? He had nasal cancer and because of his advanced age we decided it best to not consider treatments and not have him suffer. No other symptoms shown. From that experience I'd personally not ignore that and at least get it checked by your vet asap. Of course my experience isn't necessarily your experience with Your dog and don't throw away his life if it's not something terrible or easily treated.

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

Thanks for answering.  That made me think harder than I wanted to.  If it was normal times (and it's not) I'd definitely run him down to the clinic to find out what's up, but our vet clinic isn't open except for emergencies, and I'm not sure if this is one.  The dog seems OK now.  I'll wait and see.

• PR

Call the vet and ask advice. If the vet thinks he should be seen, then take him in. 

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/nose-bleeds...

This decision should be up to you in regards to whether you should take him in, but if he happened to eat any rodent poison, he would need to be treated immediately. A vet can likely advise in this manner. Rodent poison can kill a dog. 

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

No chance the dog ate rat poison.  We don't use it, and he has been nowhere except in our yard.  Thanks for answering.

• Maxi

It is time to pick up the phone and phone the vet and ask for advice.

The most common cause of an acute nose bleed in a dog will be either trauma or an infection in their upper respiratory tract...there are of course other reasons...however an URT infection can be treated very easily

• mokrie

No it's NOT time. There is no reason to put him down until he cannot walk and eat any longer. An exception would be if he starts bleeding again and heavily.

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

If a dog's condition has deteriorated so severely that he can no longer walk or eat, in the absence of something sudden and catastrophic such as cardiac failure or stroke, the owner has missed signals, probably several or many, already.  I don't want to wait until my dog is incapacitated.

I don't own a dog but I still think you should take him to the doctor

A nose bleed in a dog is usually serious however if only a one off and he is showing no other signs of discomfort then I wouldn't be doing anything at this point.  If this happens again or becomes regular then you certainly need to look at the situation.  

Go by how he is in himself and if he's still happy and eating then it is not time to call it 'done' just yet.   You know the dog so be guided by how he is.

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

Thank you.  I was a little freaked out, but the dog seems OK so I'm hoping it was just an anomaly and I'll bring it up with the vet at the dog's next wellness check (which has been pushed back for now).  I just don't want to take him in right now if not necessary, or panic or overreact.

With mine, it's always been quality of life which dictates when it's basically 'time'.   And when they stop eating - and depending on whether my vets have anything more to offer (most relevant!).

None of mine has had a nosebleed - mouth yes, from oral cancer.    You could phone your vet for advice but if he's ok now, eating and happy, I'd just treat it as a once off?   Your call really.

• ShortBus2 months agoReport

Thank you.  The dog has been OK since the nosebleed,  Just scared me a bit because I'd never seen a dog bleeding from the nose before.  My vet clinic is handling nothing right now except emergencies and farm calls, so I didn't want to take the dog in if not necessary.