When will it be safe to have a big public wedding again?

I have a wedding in mid July currently, and am so far being told by a lot of family members to postpone due to the ongoing virus. The thing is, I don’t know what date or month is safe to postpone to since the virus is so unpredictable. People are telling me to postpone to next year, but I’m worried that either this virus will still be around by then since it takes 18 months to make a vaccine, or that some new kind of crisis will happen that will cancel my new date too, and that this is just going to happen every year. If I can’t have my wedding this July I just want to cancel the whole thing since vow renewals and 2nd weddings are so dumb. But unfortunately can’t do to deposits, can only postpone. 

Favorite Answer

I would wait until end of May to make a decision. 

Limit your guests to the bare minimum of ten and have the wedding.  I would...not let go of my plans to marry on the date chosen.  Good Luck and congratulations.

John, John, John. You post this every day as if there's some huge new piece of data.  There isn't.  Get a grip, buddy.  Here's the latest news:

1. The success of current stay-at-home/social distancing/wear-a-mask measures will be assessed at the end of April.  If the results are good, those limitations will be eased, but each state, county, and city may choose to extend those orders -- or the results may be disappointed and new measures will be proposed.

2.  "Safe" is a different than "legal."  Experts like Anthony Faucci are saying that a widely available vaccine is at least a year away, maybe more.  As a result, some people may not feel comfortable attending group events until they and the majority or people have had that vaccine.

3. This is a very unique situation and I don't think people will feel the same about a couple getting legally married now and then having a celebration ceremony down the road.  

• Ocimom

I would have a simple wedding with a judge in the courthouse.  Most wedding venues will return your money.

We can’t tell the future. And that won’t change even if you keep spamming about it.

Either have a small, simple wedding and make your peace with it; or plan something larger for a later date that’s flexible enough where you won’t be out a shhhhittt-ton of money if it winds up being cancelled or if people decide not to show up.

• drip

No one right now can tell you for certain when this virus will be under control.   A huge part of the spread of it depends on the actions of the general public.   Many of which are still being stupid.  Not following medical guidelines. Not taking precautions. 

No one can tell us when a vaccine will be available to the general public.  Look at the mess up with getting testing out to the general population. 

Postpone if you can.  See how this thing plays out. You can always have a private ceremony later if you feel it necessary. 

This is unprecedented times. Yes having a bow renewal ceremony a year later is lame.    But in today’s situation guests will certainly understand.

I feel bad for brides and grooms. I feel many will end up loosing money with necessary plan changes 

No-one currently knows when this will be completely clear.

You should be safe to reschedule for July next year.

Either that, or hope/plan for a very small wedding this July (ie witnesses only), and have an anniversary party (NOT a 2nd wedding) next summer.

• Martin2 months agoReport

If no one knows when this will clear, how do you know that next July will be safe ?

this july nobody will let u have a wedding - everything will be even more closed and people will be more dying, quarantine or not. and no doubt there will be new disaster coming from china every year because I think they are now serious about destroying everything and let their slant nation spread and dominate. u can always go to a city hall or do wedding on line or have no wedding at all. but believe me u ain't having a wedding this july, rain or sun

• Ricky

Mr John. You've been posting the same question over and over since this issue started. I understand your frustration man there might be alot of money lost in this. We all got problems and we are all stressed. Today I'm going crazy cuz I had a project in Toronto which cost me alot of money and probably these ppl are going to steal my money and run idk. It's happening in august. Im thinking too negative. My sisters wedding is coming in May and she lost hope that's it's going to happen. Be happy that your in a relationship with another human being regardless if your married or not. Marriage doesn't matter anymore. It's expired. We're not in the 1990s where marriage was forever. Just wait a month before your wedding and if it's not back to normal than demand your money back and prospone your wedding till next year or two.  I've been single for five years and not a single date has happened to me. I would die to take your place. Having someone by my side surviving this together would be a dream come true but I'm all alone with no love or support. It's sucks for me. No one cares about me so it doesn't matter anyway. We all have our own lives to worry about. I would say take it day by day week by week and if this turns around than great let's celebrate but if not than we must be strong