Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Single mothers. Have you ever had to explain erections to your son?

My son is 11 years old. We haven't seen his father in 8 years. I try to do my best as a single mother. Now this issue has come up. My son was sitting on the couch watching TV with me.  When he got up he seemed to limp as he walked. I asked if he had a cramp in his leg. He pointed to his groin and said: "Sometimes it swells up and gets bigger.  I don't know why. Maybe I waited too long to go pee." Wow, I was stunned. I wasn't expecting this until he was 12 or 13. And I was also thinking it would happen if he liked a girl and he wouldn't need an explanation.  But I had to explain it to him and he was embarrassed because it happened and I'm the only female here. Being fatherless for so long I guess he is a bit naive. 

Thanks for the answers. My son was getting erections and didn’t know what they were. I kind of botched the answer after he mentioned it to me. It was a surprise when he mentioned it. 

Favorite Answer

I'm a single mom to a ten year old boy, his dad has never been in the picture. Erections can happen without any sort of visual "stimulation" so make sure you aren't giving him the wrong information. Sure, being sexually aroused causes an erection, however, that is not the only reason. It's normal for boys to have erections from birth, that's just what a penis does. Educate yourself and get him some books for boys about growing up.

• PAMELA

Get a good book on the facts of life for him.

Nice troll attempt

• alan P

These things can happen quicker than you think.  Well done for explaining it to him.  At that sort of age, through the teenage years and beyond erections can occur for no apparent reason at all.  My father never discussed these things with me but I found out anyway.  There's a lot of information on the internet these days but you had better be careful what you steer him towards.  This video from Norway is very good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFlbb9bQjOE

Youtube thumbnail

&t=193s

There are English subtitles that can be activated