Why did Kurt Cobain take the cowardly way out?

First of all, I like Nirvana. Second of all, I don’t laugh at suicide, but it’s the cowardly thing to do. He had a great life a head of him and he just ends it. All he did was hurt his fans and the people closest to him. Don’t gimme excuse about drugs and don’t tell me some BS that Courtney Love killed him. 

He died 26 years ago. 

Damn, lot of triggered people in here. 

• WazUp
    Favorite Answer

I think he wanted to join the '27 club'... He was done with grunge fame!

• nic2 months agoReport

That’s actually what I was thinking tbh. 

you didn't know him personally did you buddy

Suicide is usually caused by mental health issues. It doesn't make someone a coward but it may mean that they have unresolved issues. Depression can be caused by a variety of things such as personal problems in someone's life or even a chemical imbalance.

Cut the guy a break, will ya?  I'm not a fan of his, but I can respect where he came from and where he ended up.

The guy was in a lot of pain.  You don't need to be Sigmund Freud to know that, just take a look at his lyrics.  Inner conflict, self hate, hatred for society in general, depression, anger and isolation were pretty much his only topics.  He stated several times that his music was his therapy for all the pain and frustration he's always felt.  I have no clue as to what caused him so much pain, but he was hurting big time.

Then there's the drugs, and let's not pretend that opioid addiction is easy for anyone.  That stuff destroys people, but (from what users say) it destroys you by making you feel like everything is just fine.  Another heroin-tortured rock star, Nikki Sixx, once wrote in his diary "I hate the drugs.  I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.  But I love them".  And that was back when the stuff was really expensive.

If his mental / emotional illness and the crippling effects of heroin weren't enough, he was also married to... yeah, that.  Most guys have at least one neurotic, psychotic, soul-crushing toxic girlfriend in their lives.  For whatever reason, Kurt decided to marry his.  Maybe he thought he deserved it, maybe he even liked the pain.  We'll never know.

While I was never a fan of Kurt (or his band, or grunge), I have to feel for the guy.  I've had depression issues, I've got addiction issues (more than 4 hours without a cigarette and my body turns against me), and I've had bad relationships.  But Kurt seemed to have only those things.  Every day was a Monday for him.  

How can YOU judge ANOTHER for committing suicide? You're not in a position to. He took the decision. You don't know what he was going through, his state of mind, and what it was like to be in HIS position, regardless of fame and money. You have NO idea. And it's flat out disgusting to call anyone ''cowardly'' or any other derogatory term for being so desperate that they take their own life. What an ignorant thing to say.

• ?

You love Nirvana, and have deep admiration for Kurt Cobain.   But in the same breath you ask if he was a coward then go on to defend yourself in a way that makes you appear to not have much going for you. 

You're adamant that suicide is cowardly so why did you pose the question at all

• nic2 months agoReport

I said I like Nirvana and I did not say I have deep admiration of him. What are you reading? 

• Gonzo

Uhh Courtney Love probably drove him to suicide, Didn't you listen to In Utero?

• nic2 months agoReport

That’s not murdering him though. 

• JASON

Maybe he thought, we all die eventually, I may as well be remembered.

Who are you to judge someones pain?...

• nic2 months agoReport

You and I are still alive. We haven’t killed ourselves. We’ve had to face it even during $hitty situations. 

I have a hunch that he did it because he just couldn't stand his wife.

• Elaine

Before you label the man a coward you should walk a mile in his shoes. You say that he had a great life but that is from your perspective.