Whose right in this situation?

I grew up in a home located along a busy highway and have lived not far from that house for the last ten years on that same highway. Growing up I have seen numerous accidents happen and been involved with them in general with my father being a first responder. Let me first say that my wife knows this..nothing new to her.

Today I was in my living room while her and the baby were napping in the bedroom and I heard tires screech followed by a loud bang (I know the difference between a vehicle hitting another and one over turning). I rushed outside and didn’t see anything but saw vehicles slowing down. I live across from a field and the guy had gone off the side of the highway, down an embankment about 25 feet and flipped the car. I made it to him and he was out of the car, not hurt but obviously in adrenaline mode. I calmed him down before first responders arrived and then went back across to my house where my wife was standing outside with the baby..PISSED OFF...that I had gone over there. She starting berating me about what if you had got hit crossing the highway and you need to think about what’s important. Basically telling me that I shouldn’t have helped or even considered helping. 

About a year ago an accident happened in front of us on the way to the grocery store where a girl hit a telephone pole and I told her slow down, which she replied, “There are other people that can help. You just going to leave your pregnant wife in the car?” 

My title is not the best. The question should be more along the lines of: Am I in the wrong for helping someone in an accident? 

• Edna

Unless you know what you're doing and know very basic first aid, (which you probably don't),  do NOT try to "help" people in an auto accident, especially not if they're trapped in the car (unless the car is on fire). You could end up hurting them more that you help them. 

Call 911 and let the first responders "help" them.

You are both right: you , to have helped, she, to have been concerned about your welfare and hers, plus baby. Why aren't you moving to a safer location anyway? ! 

• slimm2 months agoReport

We are moving actually, building a house as we speak. Growing up the highway was two lanes and has since grown to 4 in the last 20yrs. The reason we have been living by the highway is we were fortunate to rent a home owned by my grandfather for very, very cheap rent in order to save to build. 

Your wife is concerned about losing you. She's insecure. You have chosen to live on a highway - the same one where your parents were forever helping at accidents. Perhaps you should move to a quieter road. It would save arguments because this sort of drama wouldn't happen quite so often. You are a good person to automatically go and help others in an emergency. Hard for your wife to understand this bearing in mind her insecurity about losing a husband. Pay more attention to her.

• Alan H

You were right  BUT her reaction was both loving and understandable.

You were concerned about a potentially seriously injured driver....SHE was concerned about you.

A big hug and a few tears may help the healing 

There is no right or wrong here. You are going to do what you do, because that's who you are. Your wife will either have to live with it or live without you. Don't make an issue of it, or fight to win your point.  It's not like accidents are going to happen all the time. Admit that your wife has the right to be afraid for your safety, and assure her you will always be careful, because you love her and care about her, too.

• arther

My grand parents used to live on a hell corner where lots of people died the other neighbour court Hepatitis pulling some drunk out of a car. Be carefull what ever you do. 

Wrong forum. Take it to the Family & Relationships category. Also too many irrelevant details and too much ranting. That's 3 violations of forum rules. Fail.

.

Now a hint: Happy wife, happy life. Don't make an issue of it.