Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 2 months ago

You want to help me explain the difference between stretched canvas and canvas board?

I tried to follow a watercolor technique with acrylic.  You take a little bit water and mix in paint. Makes the acrylic paint more watery. You take a tad bit of water either plain, salt, or bleach water and you put it just ever lightly on the paper or stretched canvas and that will cause the paint to become like that of watercolor paint. Especially if you paint the saltwater or bleach water on page or canvas, will help make cool wiggly wormy designs with the paint.  But you really do want to start out with wet acrylic paint . And so I have a bunch of canvas boards. I tried to do that, but the canvas board isn't like stretched canvas. It doesn't absorb the way paper or stretched canvas does bc canvas board isnt same material. It's stretched over a cardboard and glued and it I almost wonder if it's not covered with a glue on the top of the canvas to adhere it to the board making that why the canvas board is really solid and not have the same feel or texture as stretched canvas. So notgetting.same result. Not absorbing anything so it wasn't doing that watercolor technique correctly. Everything was a muddled puddle and it wasn't drying the same way that I needed it to.

I have a friend who doesn't understand what I'm trying to explain bc she's never worked with canvas board. Can any1 help explain diff between stretched canvas and canvas board material and why my lap.t didn't work for this? 

Rigidity!!!! a Canvas board has rigidity; the paint brush toes not give.

You drink an awful lot of coffee, don't you?