promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
AskZilla asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it derogatory to be called papa by Latinos?

This recently started happening

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jerry
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I worked in a bi-lingual health care facility and was initially shocked to hear Spanish speaking staff call Spanish speaking patients "Papi" and "Mami." But the Spanish speaking patients didn't seem either surprised or offended. The Spanish speaking patients often called staff members "caro" or "cara" (dear, darling) and this surprised me too. But it was very obvious that no offense or insult was intended. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

This is often a term of endearment but ultimately, if you do not like being labelled in this way, tell the person making the comment.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

maybe they dont think it is

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. It's often used as an endearment actually.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Not being Latino myself I can't give you a definitive answer. But I can say that in most cultures, aging is not considered to be some sort of disease, as it seems to be in Anglo-American culture. So even if someone calling you the equivalent of "daddy" sounds a little presumptuous -- and in fact it may be that even in the speaker's culture -- you should still assume that there is an element of genuine respect behind it. (To me, it's far better than being called "young man" or "young lady", as some younger service people have started to call their older customers.)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

According to Urban Dictionary, the term "papa" is a form of greeting used mainly by Puerto Ricans.

• 2 months ago

Only your family members should be calling you papa.

You should only be getting called papa, if you are a grandfather or father.

If it's not one of your family members, then you have a problem.

• 2 months ago

It is hard to answer because “papa” (potato) means you are kind of dumb, but “papá” (dad) means they respect you, that they consider you a reliable friend. Non Spanish speakers may find it hard to differentiate one word from the other if they know nothing about accented syllables.

• AskZilla
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

They mean dad

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.