lila
lila asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Husband and I are torn between adopting a kitten or a puppy. Help?

I know this is a big decision - and that it's also ours! But I'd love to hear some feedback or advice from you as we're having a tough time deciding.

My husband and I already have a 6 year old Shiba Inu dog. He's about 30 pounds and really low maintenance, meaning we take him for a 20-30 minute walk in the morning and make sure his water & food bowls are filled throughout the day. He's never lived with another dog before but he has lived with 2 cats when my husband had a roommate before we got married and moved into a house together (now it's just us of course so our dog is the only pet in the house). We do have a large home, a small yard, and a safe neighborhood. We know we're equipped to have either another dog or a cat, it's just a matter of which one we want.

As far as our lifestyle goes, we both work full-time and are gone from 8am-5:30pm. We travel sometimes but fortunately live close to our families so my parents are our pet sitters while we're gone.

I'm personally looking for a pet that will cuddle and bond with me and be an occasional play mate for our dog too. Really want to consider the pros and cons of both a kitten and a puppy. Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

I should also mention we are a young couple (29 & 30) and do not have children. Children are not in our future so that's not a concern or consideration.

Kittens are cuter, and cats are more awesome than dogs.

• Anna

They certainly are. I hate dogs.

I prefer dogs, but cats are low maintenance and stick to themselves, and easily potty trained, most cats have worms (even if told they were dewormed) and you need to handle the cat often so it is a kind cat once an adult, also don't let them hide because then they get isolated and more vicious. Dogs are all heart and need pure love, your dog may be happier with another puppy around too. Dogs are harder to potty train, but I'm sure your dog will teach the puppy the ropes lol. God bless 😊

A dog isn't a human. They don't understand why you'd want another. Leave well enough alone.

If you get a puppy you will need to use a dog daycare or a sitter. A puppy cant be left alone for hours a day. They need frequent potty breaks. 

Have you considered fostering? You could foster kittens and puppies. See what you and your dog prefers. 

Get a dog... You know what life is like with a dog.. And you want a playmate for your dog

• Ocimom

Cats are much easier to take care of then a dog.  If you adopt a kitten, get 2 kittens if under 8 months old.  They need company.  Be sure the kittens are spayed/neutered by 4 months old

Dogs require a ton of training in the first year if you get a puppy.  Since you are gone most of the day, the puppy would need to be taken outside to pee/poop every few hours and needs training.  Two cats would work out better for your lifestyle.

• *****

You say your dog hasn't lived with other dogs before, but does he regularly interact with other dogs and play with them? Because most Shiba Inus are aggressive to some degree towards other dogs, and if yours does not now regularly socialize with other dogs, you should not trial his tolerance by bringing a puppy into his home. Odds are it will go poorly.

• lila

Good point! He has interacted with my in-laws' super old Pomeranian plenty of times but other than that, not really. I wouldn't say our Shiba is aggressive but he can be reserved or even act skiddish around other dogs he encounters on a walk.

Variety is the spice of life. Get the kitten. Cats like to cuddle just as much as a dog. However, you need to keep trimming the claws of the cat weekly (they have special trimmers to do the job) to avoid damage to your furniture.

Since both of you work full time, who would be around to train a puppy?  Also, a puppy must be fed 3 times per day depending on it's age, and should be taken outside every hour or two whilst it's being housebroke.  (NEVER USE PUPPY PEE PADS IN THE HOUSE!)  Do you really expect your Parents to train a puppy for you?  That's A LOT to ask of them, and if they do end up  staying at your house, the puppy will more than likely bond with your Parents rather than you and your Husband.  In all honesty, since both of you work full time AND travel, I think it would be much easier to get a kitten.  Kittens don't need to be let outside to go to the bathroom.  They litter box train quite easily and quite frankly they don't need obedience training either.  Yes, it IS ultimately your decision, but a kitten is a LOT less work than a puppy.  JMHO

• lila

...daily basis. I understand dogs require more training than cats, but we already have a dog and did it once before. I totally agree that a kitten/cat is lower maintenance. They are also very cuddly too! :)

" ......we both work full-time and are gone from 8am-5:30pm."   Kitten!!   You cannot have a puppy and not be there pretty much all the time.   If nothing else, to get housetraining done.   Yes a puppy would have company with the existing dog, if he accepts a puppy under 'his roof'.   But that's only part of what having a puppy means - you must remember that!!   You could arrange for the puppy to go to a daycare place, once all his vaccination is done.   But what's the point in that really.  

YOU want a pet to cuddle with - WHEN YOU ARE HOME!  What if you come home (and are not delayed so you are away even longer than 9.5 hours) and too tired to be faced with a puppy or youngster who is bursting with energy and needing to be cleaned up after (including the destruction a bored puppy will be doing).

Further, even kittens/cats need company and training.

So right now, I think you should be content with the dog you already have.

ps   Puppies need feeding at lunchtime and if you are currently into 'free-feeding' that's not going to work with two + dogs.

• lila

Great answer! I appreciate your honesty and transparency. Our dog has bundles of energy too by the time we get home, but I understand it doesn't compare to the energy level (and commitment required!) of a puppy. Thanks for answering.