Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Can you sponsor an spouse if you have felony convictions?

So I have pending felony convictions and I'm extremely worried. I have plans on marrying an young lady who I know through family in vietnam. I plan on marrying her in about 2 years from now. My plan is to bring her here. I made some mistakes and so I will have convictions on my record, a total of 3. They are non violent offenses, most involving a prank gone wrong or prank call gone wrong. Would these convictions have any issues with sponsoring her ?

Why not have your family find you a Vietnamese girl who's already in the States?

• james

people have a miss conception here. U.S. law will not stop her from coming here. As long as she pass's the back ground check.  But that is a 2 way street. Vietnam will not let her come to you. As you are not a good person. So they will not give her a visa to come. 

Liar liar! Prank calls don't get you convictions.

How many times do you plan to ask variations of the same question?

You must prove you earn enough to support self, all dependents, plus the person you sponsor. You need current year paystubs plus your last 3 years of US income tax returns to prove you earn enough. With a criminal record, you may have serious difficulties getting a good job & earning enough to meet requirements. If incarcerated, you definitely will not earn enough. It's not the criminal conviction(s) per se, but the consequences which are your concern.

Also, does this person want to marry a convicted criminal? Probably only if they are Green Diggers - out for green card & greenbacks - would they consider marrying a felon.

• Foofa

If this were a past felony conviction and you'd already served your time this wouldn't be an issue. But if you're just now facing a potential prison sentence you may not even be free to participate in this sponsorship, and that could be a problem.

Whether a U.S. citizen with a criminal record can sponsor a spouse for a green card or not depends on the type of crime involved and the USCIS agent reviewing the case. There are crimes that won’t create a problem but there are also those that make it impossible to be approved. When a person applies for a marriage green card, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will want to know the interaction that the U.S. citizen sponsor and the spouse seeking a green card have had with law enforcement and this involves conducting background and security checks.

• Droopy

Yea they probably will cause issues.