promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Will my USB 3.0 powered hub create a bottleneck between my laptop and USB 3.1 devices?

I have a powered USB 3.0 hub connected between my USB 3.1 enabled laptop and my Razer Huntsman Elite Optomechanical keyboard. However, I was wondering if connecting this hub to my USB 3.1 port with a Micro 3,0 cable to USB-C cable will cause a bottleneck in data transmissions between my devices and the laptop itself.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

USB 2.0 has more than enough speed for the devices you mention.

ALL USB ports are compatible with devices using earlier versions of USB standards.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

No.

IF the other connected devices were USB 3.1 rated AND needed transfer rates above 5Gb/sec to work correctly, then technically there could be a bottleneck through a 3.0 rated hub.

However:

The keyboard you mention only uses a USB-A connector and for the minimal data required by a keyboard, a basic USB2 connection for a keyboard is easily fast enough to be considered "zero delay" in human or gaming terms.

The keyboard info says it's only updated 1000 times a second, the differences in connection type delay are a thousand times again smaller than that.

The light-sensing switches are really nothing more than a gimmick, as the update rate limits how relevant the switch speed is.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert J
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"I paid $320 AUD for this keyboard."
      Ouch!! Corsair mechanical keyboards seem to get as good or better reviews..

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.