promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Have you ever owned or driven a van?

Thrn maybe you can tell us why van drivers always leave the engine running when they get out to  go into a shop.  I've asked about ten people and they always say day "dunno"

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By "van", are you referring to a semi or some other large truck?   The engines of  semi's and large trucks run on diesel fuel. One reason a driver of a large truck usually leaves the engine idling when he gets out of the truck  and goes into a shop is because it takes longer to re-start a diesel engine after it has been completely shut off, than it does to re-start the engine of an unleaded gasoline engine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I’ve only driven rental vans for moving house and that would void any insurance making me liable for a new van not to mention my furniature. Maybe white van man thinks he’s well hard an no one would dare stealing his van .

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, I had a van some years ago.

I never left it running at a shop.

• hart
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

arrogance and lack of physics

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I've never owned one but I've driven many from Grand Caravans to Promaster 3500's. I wouldn't be ashamed of owning a Grand Caravan or something like that, though. With the stow and go seats I can see having a lot of utility out of it. 

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If its a truck with air brakes turn it off the compressed air leaks out your stuck there for 5 minutes before you can release the handbrake. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Obviously you've asked ten clueless people. Delivery drivers do that for two reasons. A lot of stops and starts is hard on the starter and battery, which both last a lot longer if the starts are reduced to a minimum. Starting also causes the most engine wear. An electric vehicle solves these issues. Some companies prohibit their drivers from doing this because of potential liability of leaving the vehicle running.  

• 2 months ago

Don't know where you are but they don't here. First of all, that's one way to get your van stolen, secondly it's illegal.

• ...Show all comments
    • champer
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes it is, Edna. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 
      Regulation 107 refers.

• 2 months ago

I have owned and driven two different conversion vans. I never left the engines running while not in the vehicles.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I've driven one (actually, several) but never owned one. I have never left one running while I go into a store.

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

They are gas hogs too (I have driven a Plymouth Voyager) along with SUV's & 3/4 ton pickups

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.