Have you ever owned or driven a van?

Thrn maybe you can tell us why van drivers always leave the engine running when they get out to  go into a shop.  I've asked about ten people and they always say day "dunno"

• Edna

By "van", are you referring to a semi or some other large truck?   The engines of  semi's and large trucks run on diesel fuel. One reason a driver of a large truck usually leaves the engine idling when he gets out of the truck  and goes into a shop is because it takes longer to re-start a diesel engine after it has been completely shut off, than it does to re-start the engine of an unleaded gasoline engine.

• F

I’ve only driven rental vans for moving house and that would void any insurance making me liable for a new van not to mention my furniature. Maybe white van man thinks he’s well hard an no one would dare stealing his van .

Yes, I had a van some years ago.

I never left it running at a shop.

• hart

arrogance and lack of physics

I've never owned one but I've driven many from Grand Caravans to Promaster 3500's. I wouldn't be ashamed of owning a Grand Caravan or something like that, though. With the stow and go seats I can see having a lot of utility out of it. 

• arther

If its a truck with air brakes turn it off the compressed air leaks out your stuck there for 5 minutes before you can release the handbrake. 

Obviously you've asked ten clueless people. Delivery drivers do that for two reasons. A lot of stops and starts is hard on the starter and battery, which both last a lot longer if the starts are reduced to a minimum. Starting also causes the most engine wear. An electric vehicle solves these issues. Some companies prohibit their drivers from doing this because of potential liability of leaving the vehicle running.  

Don't know where you are but they don't here. First of all, that's one way to get your van stolen, secondly it's illegal.

• champer

Yes it is, Edna. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 
      Regulation 107 refers.

I have owned and driven two different conversion vans. I never left the engines running while not in the vehicles.

• Mark

I've driven one (actually, several) but never owned one. I have never left one running while I go into a store.

• Eastside Guz

They are gas hogs too (I have driven a Plymouth Voyager) along with SUV's & 3/4 ton pickups